Type of Braces Recommended for Overbite and Spacing Issues?

I'm a 19 year old college student, and I'm unsure about what kind of Braces I should get. As you can see, I have issues with spacing, as well as an overbite. I would like to know what options would work best for my kind of situation. I was hoping to get a bit of information before heading into the orthodontist. Thanks.

You have some great options for hidden braces

+2

Hi,

I love your kind of case! Upper spacing, lower crowding, and a symmetrical bite. It makes for a a very predictable and great result. It lends itself to a dramatic and noticeable change in a relatively short time. It looks like you have the full range of options for different kinds of braces (standard metal braces, self-ligating braces, ceramic braces, Invisalign (possibly), and lingual braces).

Invisalign might be a little limited if any of your bottom teeth are overlapped. It is hard to tell in the photos. But lingual braces, such as Incognito, would be awesome in your kind of case. They are totally hidden behind the teeth and will do a great job. A close exam by an orthodontist who is trained in all these techniques can help you decide what is best for you.

Good luck.

Atlanta Orthodontist

Good bite in the back can mean shorter treatment time

+1

An orthodontist would have to evaluate your situation, but if your bite is good in the back of your mouth, and the teeth and jaw joints (TMJ) are healthy, then your treatment may be relatively straight forward.  With the combination of upper spacing, some overbite and some lower crowding, the correction of your overbite will create space to correct the lower crowding and give you room to close the gaps on the upper teeth.  If this is all that needs to be done, then you may be a great candidate for Invisalign and maybe even Invisalign Express (for more minor movement of teeth),  Braces of course would always be an option.  It is possible that the lower teeth may be slightly larger than they should be to fit perfectly with the upper.  In that case the dentist may need to do a slight amount of shaving between the lower teeth to get them to fit together properly.  This is a common problem with a straight forward solution.

Kent Lauson, DDS, MS
Denver Orthodontist

Braces or Invisalign will work

+1

Hi,

From the pictures that you sent, it seems as though fixed braces, metal or clear, or invisalign, are treatment options for you.

There are pros and cons to each type. If you do opt for fixed braces, they are permanently on your teeth and visible. With fixed treatment, you will have to be careful of eating sticky or hard foods and need to be diligent about your oral hygiene. If you opt for invisalign, you will have to be very compliant in wearing them. Most adults tend to choose invisalign if they are a candidate for it!

Gabriela Hricko, DDS
New York Orthodontist