I'm 16 yrs old and I have an overjet. Would you recommend Braces or Invisalign? (photo)

Hi:) I'm 16 and I always thought I had an overbite, but I just found out what an overjet is recently. (I got it because I was a thumb sucker as a child). I think it's my two front teeth on the top & the 2 next to those that don't touch the bottom ones. and they stick out the most. So do I have an overbite, overjet, or both? What is the best way to go about fixing it? And how long might that take?

Open Bite

+1

Hello! You have what is called an open bite. Usually if someone is a thumb sucker when they are younger or has a tongue thrust they have an open bite. I would recommend having an orthodontic consultation with a doctor in your area. You can definitely benefit from orthodontic treatment and they will also be able to let you know if you have a tongue thrust (we wouldn't be able to tell exactly from photos) and if you do, they would most likely recommend you seeing a myofunctional therapist.

New York Orthodontist

Overbite, overjet?

+1

Overjet is the horizontal (front back) relationship of the upper to the lower so you dohave this.  Overbite is the vertical overlap and yours is negative so we call it an openbite or a negative overbite.

Hard to say what you need without more info..go see an orthodontist who uses both braces and Invisalign

Robert Waxler, DMD, MS
Saint Louis Orthodontist