Braces Vs. Invisalign?

According to my orthodontist, I have lower crowding, a severe overbite, and protrusion of my upper center teeth. Invisalign would be 6 months shorter than braces because of my overbite. I'm 13, but I've dealt with removable dental appliances before. What do you think is best?

It depends on you

+1

Invisalign can correct the overbite. If there is severe crowding on the lower sometimes wearing regular braces for a few months only on the lower and then converting to Invisalign for both the upper and lower will shorten the total time.

More crowding on the lower than on the upper can contribute to the overbite. Many times as the crowding on the lower is corrected the overbite is reduced.

On the other hand if the jaws are not aligned you need to also wear elastics to correct the overbite. In this case the correction of the overbite is totally up to you. If you don't wear the elastics all the time the bite will not be corrected. Compliance applies to both Invisalign or braces. However, with braces it is possible to affix an appliance you cannot removes thereby correcting the overbite without worrying about your compliance.

Severe overbites can be corrected other ways. However, those other ways are not part of this discussion.

Encino Orthodontist