Will Braces Fix My Overbite?

I have a class 2 malocclusion and it is a result of my underdeveloped chin. I plan on getting a sagittal split osteotomy in the future to move my lower jaw forward in order to fix my receded chin and my slight overbite. However, in the meantime I want to get braces to fix some crooked teeth. Is it possible to request braces that will straighten my teeth but leave my bite the way it is?

Osteotomy to Fix an Overbite?

+1

One way to fix a class II malocclusion is with oral surgery but is it the best way? An oral surgeon will most likely recommend this type of treatment because this is the way they fix the problem. An orthodontist who was not trained in mandibular advancement will also recommend oral surgery to fix a class II malocclusion. However, you should know that there is a non-surgical way to correct a class II malocclusion that might very well be a better way. Some doctors believe that mandibular advancement in adults is not possible without surgery. I will simply say that anyone who believes that is misinformed. Mandibular advancement can be done in children, teenagers, young adults AND older adults too.

Non-surgical mandibular advancement is done by wearing a removable or fixed appliance. The only disadvantage to non-surgical mandibular advancement over surgical is time. It will take 4-6 weeks for surgical mandibular advancement but around 6 months for non-surgical treatment. 

All other advantages go to non-surgical mandibular advancement.

Good luck!

Tustin Cosmetic Dentist