Can I Get Braces with a Bridge Done on my Central Incisors?

I'm 20 years old and have a prosthetic tooth in replacement for one of my front teeth. I have always had problems with my front teeth mainly them chipping. I still need braces and am considering getting a bridge done, but can i get a bridge done before the braces? I just really don't want to be toothless with braces. I'm not wanting to damage my other teeth thats why i only want the bridge on the central incisors. Is a bridge permanent or will there be long term issues? Example, it falling off.

Missing teeth and Braces

+2

I can understand your fear of walking around without a front tooth. But there is good news for you: Your orthodontist should be able to use a 'Pontic' or a fake tooth, put a brace on it and connect it with the wires so it looks like you have a tooth in place. If you decide to do Invisalign, a fake tooth can be made to fill into the space so you look like you have a tooth there. Either ways, no one needs to know you have a tooth missing.

It is better to do the tooth alignment prior to the bridge/implant since the rest of the teeth have to be moved to the ideal spot before you get your permanent replacement. If you do that first, your orthodontist may not be able to get the rest of the teeth to match up correctly around it. You should work with a good combination team of a Cosmetic denstist and orthodontist to get the ideal result.

If possible, implants are always better choice than a bridge.

Hope this helps and good luck

Vijay Bhagia, Space Center Orthodontics, Houston TX.

Houston Orthodontist

NO FRONT TOOTH WITH BRACES? we can help

+1

If you need braces for other reasons it is best to do them BEFORE you do the replacement bridge.  The orthodontist can make sure that you have a substitute tooth in the space while you are in treatment..  Make sure you really like the way your teeth look.  You will take care of them better and they will last longer if you do.

Phoenix Orthodontist

Braces before the bridge

+1

While in treatment with braces, a false tooth can have a bracket put on it so you don't look like you are missing a tooth.  If you do a bridge before braces, your case may not come out as ideal as it could/should.  Not that an approach like that is WRONG, but it may be better to wait on the bridge.

Web reference: http://www.DrTimmerman.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist