Braces Before Molar Dental Implant?

Hi, I have two lower first molar taken out, I need to get braces to correct severe overjet/overbite issue. Do I need the braces first or dental implant to replace the molars? How will the braces be placed if the molars are missing?

Braces and implants

+3

I would say do the braces first then the implant. Sometimes orthodontists don't get the amount of movement that they first think they'll get. The implant can't be moved. It's key that the orthodontist and implant surgeon plan the case together in advance and stay in close communication. If this doesn't happen, problems can occur. 

Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Correct Sequence of Braces and Implants

+2

Usually orthodontic treatment is performed first.  You should consult with your orthodontist before placing implants.  Sometimes orthodontics does not involve the molar space.  If molars aren't involved, an implant may be placed prior to or during orthodontic treatment.  Since you have a "severe overjet/overbite" as you describe, the orthodontist may want to use some of that empty space, where molars used to be, to shift your remaining teeth posteriorly.

Peter Mann, DDS
Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Getting a Orthodontic(Braces) Consult is Number One

+2

When you need to correct your bite, with or without missing teeth, the co-coordinator for  your care must be your orthodontist. 

They need to take extensive records to decide the treatment sequence and from there you have a plan to take care of your dental needs. 

Usually braces are first followed by Implants but sometimes you need anchorage and Implants can be the anchors.  Talk to your dentist and orthodontist and with a plan you will know your dental care needs-Goo luck!

Wendy S. Spektor, DDS
Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Braces before Dental Implant?

+1

Orthodontic consult before any implant treatment for your case.  Work with a team of conferring implant dentist and orthodontist so timing can be optomised, you will need input from both and their team management.    Advice we can give here is limited by not examining you, for instance you don't say how long your molars have been missing.  Teeth behind gaps may have tilted and orthodontics can help this also and achieve a correct tooth sized space or even close up residual space so an implant is not necessary.  With two missing teeth, braces will be on your other teeth in the arch typically.

Reginald O'Neill, BDS, MSc
London Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign/braces before implants are the rule.

+1

But rules are meant to be examined. It seems correct tho to do the braces first and then the implants. If there is a molar missing then they are skipped in the treatment. Look into invisalign first because they can put in a fake tooth into the aligner so that no one can tell your molar is missing..I love it!

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Braces before dental implants

+1

I would definitely recommend you to have the braces before implants.

Once you are completed with the braces you might not even need the implants. 

Antoaneta Barba, DDS
Santa Ana Cosmetic Dentist

Braces and extractions

+1

After your extractions I would recommend you to have a orthodontic treatment. Sometimes it is possible to move teeth so that  you would not need an implant anymore (ask that question your orthodontist). If after completion of your orthodontic treatment you will need an implant then that would be a time to have it done.

Zina Kaleinikova, DDS, MS
Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Braces or dental implants first?

+1

I would definitely recommend braces before placement of the dental implant.  This is because the surgeon will want to place the implant in the best available location once the remaining teeth are repositioned and stabilized. Once the implant is placed, it cannot be moved like other teeth with braces.

Daniel Melnick, DDS
Laurel Cosmetic Dentist

Orthodontics or Implants first

+1

Without hesitation, BRACES FIRST.  Implants are only successful when the jaw and tooth alignment is optimal.  Seek a multidisciplinary approach.  Make sure the general dentist, implant specialist and orthodontist design a coordinated treatment plan.  Orthodontics will correct and stabilize your bite.  It may even close the gap from the missing molars and eliminate the need for implants.  Sometimes braces can correct angling of the teeth adjacent to the space, providing better spacing for a future implant.  A well designed team effort will provide you with an excellent result.

Marc Zive, DMD
Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Implant Placement Prior may help accelerate your Braces

+1

With today's new technology especially in cases where molars are missing, Implant placement can help accelerate orthodontics. By Co-ordinating with your orthodontist and your Dental Implantologist they can predict where your teeth will be and you can have the implants placed prior to braces commencing. This way once the implant is healed (6-12weeks) your orthodontist can use the implants as an anchor to be able to move your teeth to the correct position. Correct planning and communication between your two treating doctors or in some cases one, will be critical to the success of your case. Doing braces first and then implants second is old thinking and is not utilizingthe new mechanics we have available in dentistry today.

Jonathan Abenaim, DMD
Ridgewood Cosmetic Dentist