Whats the Best Bra to Wear After the Post Op Period

Breast Augmentation

+2

The best bra is the best fitting one which is adjustable.  You should be able to place 2-3 fingers under the strap and fit 2-3 fingers under the strap around the chest.  Too much support is not beneficial as we want your breasts to drop into place and a poor fitting bra will support them in a way that will not allow the breast to descend.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Best bra to wear after breast augmentation

+2

Most surgeons will have their favorites, though we use a soft cup stretch bra, often a Warner's bra with an upper breast band wrap right after surgery. Many different bras will do. The key is holding the implant still in the pocket with the band snug enough to hold the implant well seated into the breast fold. We keep patients in the band two weeks, and then in the bra alone for perhaps four more. After the four weeks any bra will do that you find comfortable or attractive, but keep in mind your breast may change for the next three to six months as the implant and breast work in together and blend as one.

peterejohnsonmd

Soft cotton bra

+1
For the first two months, you’ll need to wear a soft cotton bra without an under wire, to allow the implants to assume their new normal position.  

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Best Bra After Breast Augmentation

+1
The best bra to wear would be what is recommended to you by your surgeon. Generally, I recommend a compression garment or snug fitting and soft cup, wireless sports bra that has hooks in the front so you don't have to struggle with them in the back.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Best Bra?

+1
Dear ff,
Thank you for your post. I am very protective of my patients with augmentations who are runners. I recommend that they buy the athleta underwire sports bra with the front adjustable straps. My patients really like this bra for running and find that it holds them very stable. It is cupped instead of compressing the breasts together.  Some patients use an additional regular sports bra on top of this for extra security. Some like it for everyday wear in the initial post-operative period. Using a regular sports bra that just compresses the breast together rather than cups that keep their shape can cause flattening of the breasts especially in the early post operative period and wearing a bra that doesn't have enough support, especially when running or any bouncing type activity, can cause bottoming out or stretching of the breasts.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

+1
You should follow the advice of your plastic surgeon. All plastic surgeons will have a different routine for post operative care. Your plastic surgeon understands your surgery and your anatomy and is in the best position for making this decision. Some plastic surgeons like underwire bras others want you to avoid their use.

Best bra to wear during the postoperative period

+1

I usually have my patients wear a sports bra for several weeks following augmentation. After three months, I allow them to go back to using underwire bras.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Sports Bra after Breast Augmentation

+1

The best bra to wear after a breast augmentation is a sports bra. I recommend purchasing one that closes in the front so that you do not have to pull it over your head or reach behind your back. We want the bra to fit firmly but not too tight to where it cuts into your incisions. Most importantly, do not wear a bra that has any underwire for at least 6 weeks. Every doctor has their preference so it is important to discuss this with your plastic surgeon.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Best bra after breast surgery

+1

Many doctors have recommended bras for their patients in the immediate post-operative period and if yours does, then by all means follow that recommendation. I usually tell my patients to get a bra that has soft cups without seams as the seams can be irritating to the breast. Underwires are usually not comfortable right after surgery for most patients but I have had a few who found underwires more comfortable. Since there is often swelling around the rib cage, it is sometimes more comfortable to get a slightly larger band (a 36 instead of a 34, for example). What you need is one with good support that is comfortable as you will probably be wearing it 24/7 for a few weeks.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Best Bra Following Augmentation

+1

I too have my patients wear a sports bra for a few weeks following augmentation.  If the implants are placed below the muscle as they almost always are, I also ask them to keep a strap on the upper poles of the breasts to encourage the implants to "drop".  I allow patients who have a circumareolar incision to wear an underwired bra sooner than those with an inframammary incision.

John Whitt, MD