I Had BR Surgery and Now I Have an Open Wound/sore That Won't Heal? (photo)

I had BR surgery on 2/1/2013 in Caracas Venezuela. The stitches are find but an open wound start opening and it's been bleeding a little and it's not getting better. I've been cleaning the wound every two days with an antibiotic ointment and gauze that my surgeon gave me. Should I do something different so the wound heal faster. It doesn't hurt or has any signs of infection but I don't see it healing.

Breast reduction surgery and open wound

+2

Some dehiscence of the wound at the "T" is common. Often they heal with local wound care. Best for you to be evaluated in person.

Open Wound after Breast Reduction Surgery?

+1
Thank you for the question and picture.
 These types of superficial wound healing problems are not uncommonly seen after breast reduction surgery. The most important "step" for successful resolution, in my opinion, is close follow-up with your plastic surgeon. He/she will be able to recommend appropriate local wound care, treat any infection present, and/or remove any suture material that potentially will delay healing.

Generally speaking, patients who experience these types of superficial separations go on to heal well, without long-term detraction from the end results.

An Open Wound/sore That Won't Heal after BR?

+1

Thanks for the question. I am sorry to see that there is a wound dehiscence at the " T " junction after Breast Reduction. Its a common place to heal slowly and suffer like this. Simple wound toilet using Betadine ( iodine in water 5.% ) Solution and topical antibiotic like Bacterioban or Gentamycin skin ointment  daily will take at least 3 weeks for this wound to heal since it will now heal only by secondary intention healing and wound contraction. I know in US medication are not available on shelf without prescription and therefore it may not be possible for you .If you can afford to see a PS he may take care of  your wound. Wish you good luck.

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

I Had BR Surgery and Now I Have an Open Wound/sore That Won't Heal?

+1

I assume you did medical tourism surgery. So now you need an US boarded PS to render minor wound care. This is the major issue with out of country surgery. Most of us boarded PSs are willing to render care but you will be charged for each visit in the range of $250 to $500 per visit. Thus, seek in person care. 

Wounds after breast reduction

+1

Hi,

sometimes, the "T" wound after a breast reduction can have wound healing problems. the pics are not entirely clear. This is something a board certified PS is capable to deal with. 

we know that $$$ is a big factor in medical tourism ( unless you are from venezuela) , but in the event of a wound complication or issue  that needs to be addressed, you have no access to your PS to help you. 

If you are not able to follow up with the PS who did the surgery, you need to find a PS local to you to help with your care. 

Plastic surgery does not end with the final suture on a wound or the last bandage. Follow up care is equally important to the safety and outcome of our patients. 

I know this advice is after the fact, but hopefully it will help other patients make the safe choice.

Best to you. 

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Open wound after Breast reduction

+1

You are pictures are not very clear.

Its not unusual to have delayed healing of wound at the area of the Inverted T.

In general this is what you need to do:

See board certified plastic surgeon and find out weather the the open wound is caused by infection, suture granuloma, the suture material used or combination of the factors described above.

You should be extra careful with surgery performed abroad because there are always unknowns in the post operative period.

You or the doctor you  see should contact the surgeon in Venezuela, but my experience  has been that they are usually of little help.

Best of Luck 

David Evdokimow M.D.

David Evdokimow, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon