I still have excess skin/tissue after my Tummy Tuck. If it needs to revised, do I have to pay for the general anesthesia again?

I still have hanging skin/tissue after my tt. If it needs to revised, do I have to pay for the general anesthesia again? Thank you.

+2

You will find that policies may vary from one office to another. Generally, plastic surgeons work hard to try to keep their patients happy and will likely try to minimize expenses as much as possible. For example, you may find that your surgeon will perform the procedure for you at minimal to no costs (surgeon's fee), but that anesthesiology and surgery facility fees will apply. Again, best to check with your own plastic surgeon for relevant/accurate information. Best wishes; hopefully you will be pleased with the outcome of the revisionary  tummy tuck surgery.

Charges for revisional surgery vary from the plastic surgeon to plastic surgeon.

+1
In my own practice I do not charge an additional Professional fee for revisions. As I own my own surgery center the patient's are only charged for the overhead in revisional surgery.

+1
Each individual PS has office policies for revisional surgery. You need to address this with your chosen surgeon... 

+1
    Most surgeons do not charge a surgeon's fee for a revision, but anesthesia and operating room fees are usually charged.

Costs for revision of tummy tuck

+1
Most likely you will have to pay for anesthesia again, unless the revision is related to something covered by your insurance. Also, if it is a minor revision that does not require general anesthesia, then you may only have to pay for local anesthesia which is much less. Every plastic surgery office has their own policies regarding revision surgery, whether it's communicated verbally and/or included in the paperwork that is signed prior to surgery. The fixed costs are the general anesthesia fees and the facility/operating room fees. Each time a patient goes to the operating room, there are bills that must be paid for things like medications, an anesthesiologist or anesthetist, the nurses, scrub technicians, supplies, instruments, sutures, dressings, etc. These costs are there whether you have surgery for the first time, or for a revision. Your surgeon also has a fee, and the time dedicated to your care has an associated cost. Nonetheless you'll find many surgeons are willing to waive or reduce the fee as a courtesy for certain types of revisions. The only person who can answer your question is your surgeon, since policies for revisions vary, and individual patient circumstances vary. I would communicate your concerns with your surgeon and go from there. Good luck!

Anita Patel, MD