Is The Nose Weaker Post Rhinoplasty? I've Been Boxing.

Hi I broke my nose several times playing rugby in my younger days. I had a rhinoplasty to correct the problem after stopping playing. The procedure was carried out 7 years ago. I now box but was under the impression that my nose would have been significantly weakened due to the rhinoplasty - is this the case? I am very keen to box competitively but do not want my nose to explode as soon as I get punched on it.. clearly boxing is not a great idea for me but I really enjoy it ...many thanks

Noses after rhinoplasty

+1

The nose shoudl be fairly strong after rhinoplasty once it has healed. However, you take a nice shot to the nose in boxing and you can definitely break it again.

It depends

+1

The answer depends on your nose shape and the type of surgery that was done. Unfortunately, with many surgeries the nose IS permanently weakened and will be more prone to a fracture. As a fellow rugby player, I think I understand you! My prediction is you will box no matter what we say here, so wear head gear whenever you can, and come see a good surgeon when you break it again!

J. Charles Finn, MD
Raleigh-Durham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose strength after rhinoplasty

+1

There have been a couple of studies done that show that noses are not any weaker following a rhinoplasty.  The problem is that if you do break your nose after a rhinoplasty has been done, then your nose is more difficult to fix, because it has been operated on.  I don't think it is a very good idea to start boxing after you have had a rhinoplasty.

Douglas J. Kibblewhite, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon