Boxing After Surgery? When Can I Resume Contact Sports?

hi, I will be getting a SeptoRhinoPlaste done in 2 weeks, I am wondering, Will I be allowed to box on a Heavy bag (A punching bag) after its done? How long will I have to wait until I may resume contact sports? (boxing, teakwondo, etc) Thanks, Mendy

Participation in contact sports after surgery

+1

You will want to avoid exerting yourself for at least 4-5 weeks following your procedure.  After that time period, it is ok to hit a punching bag. It would be best to refrain from participating in contact sports where there is a risk of contact to the nose for at least 6 months. It is important to be careful after that point as well, as you do not want to risk doing damage to your new nose.  With a sport such as boxing, it is inevitable that there will be contact to your nose at some point.  With this being the case, you may want to reconsider participation in recreational boxing where there is a constant risk of contact.  This may compromise the work performed by your surgeon and potentially lead to revision work being necessary in the future. Thank you and I hope this helps.

Contact sports after nasal surgery

+1

It is best to have rhinoplasty performed after your boxing career is over.  Hard contact sports will just lead to re-breaking of the nose and revision surgery.  While it is acceptable to resume sports 2-3 weeks after the procedure, it is probably best to avoid contact sports.  

Contact Sports after surgery

+1

You can start to resume light activities in a month.  However, the exact time will depend on your healing process but generally not before 3 months for contact sports.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Exercising after Setorhinoplasty

+1
Boxing on a bag can be done at six to eigth weeks after surgery however sparring with someone else or a contact sport you should wait at least three to six months depending on the healing process. All extraneous exercise after surgery may exacerbate swelling and should be done per surgeons direction only. Best regards and protect your investment!

Michael Elam, MD

Allow adequate time for healing for Contact Sports

+1

In my practice I would allow you to train at 6 weeks but no contact sports until after 3 months following Septorhinoplasty.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS