I Have Boxcar Scars on my Cheeks, my Dermatologist Recommends Two Rounds of Subcision + Fraxel Laser, What Do You Think? (photo)

Fraxel is excellent for acne scarring

+2

Your dermatologist has outlined a good plan for your type of acne scarring. Out of all the available fractionated resurfacing lasers, Fraxel is my laser of choice. Preceding laser treatment with subcision, where the individual depressions are elevated by disrupting the scar tissue underneath the skin, can result in excellent outcomes. If your budget allows, additionally filling the subcised depressions with filler material can further enhance results. 

Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Subcision and Fraxel laser for acne scars

+2

I agree with your dermatologist's recommendation of subcision and then Fraxel laser, but you may require more than 2 treatments.  Make sure you do not have any sun exposure after your Fraxel treatments.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

I like to treat this type of scan with a single treatment combining tumescent anesthesia, subcision and Fraxel Repair Laser.

+2

I get my best results treating this type of scar with a single aggressive combined treatment using tumescent anesthesia, extensive subcision and Fraxel Repair Laser.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Subcision first, then fraxel

+2

I agree - I would recommend subcisions to the larger scars first.  After you heal, consider a round of fraxel treatments to smooth out the finer scars.  I think you will see most of the benefit from the subcision of the larger scars first.

Jay Zimmerman, MD
Walnut Creek Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel for Acne Scars

+1
Thank you for your question. At my practice, I have gotten excellent results for scarring with Fraxel. This treatment eliminates irregular skin discoloration, and stimulates new collagen production, tightening the skin without prolonged recovery. After a series of 2 to 4 Fraxel treatments, the cumulative cosmetic improvement is near more aggressive lasers, but unlike more aggressive lasers, redness and swelling eliminated within 2 to 4 days after each treatment. Fraxel is outstanding for fine wrinkles, mild skin laxity, irregular pigmentation, acne scars, surgical scars, enlarged pores, stretch marks, age spots and Rosacea. It can be used safely on the face, neck, hands, arms, and chest.

Daniel Shapiro, MD