Botulinum Toxin (Botox) Injections to Prevent Neck Muscle Spasms?

After my car accident my neck muscles became very tight. I tried medication, hot and old compresses and of course physical therapy…. Swelling disappeared but my muscles are still tight…. Also I have to attend therapy 2-3 times a week…. It is very inconvenient because of my school and work schedule…. plus all the results only last for several days. On top of everything my doctor does not believe in botox injections…I know botox injections can prevent muscle spasms and I am wonder how much the botox cost and how many units would I approximately need (neck area). Please help me out because I am really tired of being in pain… Thanks!

Botox for neck pain?

+2

While Botox may be an option for you, be very careful about choosing a physician in this case. We would search for a neurologist that has much experience with Botox. This is a less well understood use for Botox and is better left to a physician skilled in using Botox for non-cosmetic purposes.

We refer all non-cosmetic uses of Botox to a local neurologist just for this reason.

Botox has been used to treat muscle spasms for more than...

+2

Botox has been used to treat muscle spasms for more than thirty years; however, it’s use in post traumatic situations has been more recent. I would suggest that you ask your PCP for a referral to a neurologist (who does believe in Botox) and seek a second opinion.

The cost of Botox is variable and you should check sources in your area.

Roger A. Dailey, MD
Portland Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox can be used for neck spasm but seek a qualified provider.

+1

Yes you could consdier this as an option. It is used to treat a similar condition in children called Torticollis.

Seek out an provider with experience and this may vary in your area. It could be a pediatric plastic surgeon, neurologist, neurosurgeon, etc.

This may take some trial and error. It will require ongoing therapy to maintain the result.