Am I Bottoming Out? (photo)

Hello, I had my BA 8 weeks ago. My pre op breasts were slightly uneven, the left one was a little droopier than the right one. At my 6 weeks follow up my DR said that the left one has completely dropped and the right one needs to drop some more. I recently just took photos and they look uneven and I am starting to worry that my left one might be bottoming out. I am massaging my right one as I see that it has more upper pole than the left one. Trying to stay positive.. please let me know what you think

Your left breast implant may be bottoming out

+3

Thank you for your question and photographs. I agree that your left breast implant is lower than the right and may be bottoming out. If the right side does not become symmetrical with the left you may need a revision but this should be delayed for 6 months.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/surgical-procedures/result-oriented-breast-augmentation-breast-enlargement/

Asymmetry after augment

+2

At 6 weeks post op you are still quite early in the healing process. I agree with my colleagues that you should wait until at least six months post op before considering any revisionary surgery. It looks to me like there is more swelling on your right and this would be expected to decrease over the next few months. There is also some asymmetry preoperatively and this is sometime more obvious after surgery. So try to be patient. Time is on your side. Good luck to you.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Am I Bottoming Out? (photo)

+2

The issue is the before asymmetry is MAGNIFIED by the larger implants used. There could be a degree of "bottoming" on the left but the asymmetry is so much more noted. Might try revision to lift the left or lower the right + fat grafts to even out the asymmetry.

Bottoming Out

+2

I am sorry you are having this problem!  From my perspective it is very humbling to see that any complication can happen, even in a person who doesn't look like she would be a difficult surgery, and who also got appropriately sized implants.

I would suggest that you stop massaging your right implant for two reasons. One, it doesn't do anything. Two, why would you want your right implant to drop anyway?  It's the good one! The problem is the left one is not going to come up on it's own.

I think it would be appropriate to wait another 8 weeks before going forward with a revision surgery that will reposition the left implant.  There are two main techniques that can accomplish this job, 'capsulorrhaphy' or 'neo-submuscular pocket repositioning'. Either one is effective, but should only be performed by a seasoned surgeon that performs revision surgery regularly, as any revision surgery is more difficult than primary breast augmentation.  If your doctor hasn't, you should go to a surgeon who does.  This is a problem that is completely correctable, and you will have a great result!

Web reference: http://www.drminniti.com

Breast implant results change with more time

+2

You are still too early to make that determination.  Typically, with more time, both sides will settle to become more even.  You look like you had some asymmetry before the surgery.  But, I would wait for a total of 3-6 months before you decide that you are uneven enough to want further surgery.  Chances are, your implants will even out with more time.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Am I Bottoming Out

+2

It does seem like it based on your pictures.  Having said that, I suggest waiting until the 6 month mark prior to performing any revision surgery such as an internal capsulorrhaphy on the left to raise the implant.  

You should see your surgeon as soon as possible.  To me, I prefer the position of the right implant, and wouldn't want it to drop anymore.  The implant appears centred under the nipple on the right, which is where the implant should be.

In my practice, I would suggest using microfoam tape and/or an underwire bra to raise the IMF on the left breast and support it so that it stopped dropping over the next few months.  See your surgeon to see what they say.

Warmest Regards,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Bottoming out after Breast Augmentation

+2

Thank you for submitting your pictures.  There is definite asymmetry to your breasts (some of which was present prior to surgery).  It is still early to determine the final results, but I can understand your concern regarding the left breast.  Keep in close communication with your surgeon.  If the asymmetry persists, then a revision surgery may be needed.  Physical exam by your operating surgeon will be very important during your follow up period.  Good luck!

Bottoming Out after Breast Augmentation?

+2

Thank you for the question and demonstrative pictures.

Although it may still be early to judge the final results of surgery ( in regards to breast symmetry), I see your concern about the position of the left breast implant. The left breast implant does seem to be rather low on the chest wall, making the left nipple/areola complex seem like it's sitting relatively high on the left breast mound.

At this point, I would suggest that you continue to exercise patience and continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon. It is possible, that revisionary breast surgery ( involving internal sutures or capsulorrhaphy),  will be necessary to improve the position of the left breast implant down the line.

I hope this ( and the attached link) help.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/case-of-the-week/breast-revision-surgery/breast-augmentation-revision-surgery-3/

Am I Bottoming Out?

+2

Maybe, but I can't tell from photos alone--an in person exam is key.

The sides are certainly not symmetric. Time will tell if the right side drops more to make these even, but I think I am seeing too much lower pole of the left breast at this time. 

Continue to follow your surgeons postop instructions and attend your postop appointments. 

Thanks for your question, and for the attached photos.l Best wishes. 

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
Hard to tell right now and your surgeon is likely the best person to answer this as they know your tissues the best, overall you have a nice result though

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.