Bottoming out of Left Breast or Swelling - 4 1/2 Week Post Op? (photo)

Hi, I wanted to gain some additional perspective on this. I have had some degree of swelling on the left side under the crease since my BL/BA 4.5 weeks ago. (no crease incision). I am concerned that it looks like it is bottoming out. I had my FU with my PS on Monday and asked if this was swelling, and he stated it was. I would like additional opinions if possible. If this is swelling, when can I expect resolution? My next FU is in 3 mo and would like to know when to act on this if bottoming

Bottoming Of Breast Implants After Surgery

+1

Dear Nancial,

What is more important is the redness depicted in the photo of your left breast; this could be a sign of infection and I encourage you to keep an eye on it as if it worsens you will need to see your PS before your projected meeting.

The "bottoming out" of your left breast implant should be addressed with your surgeon by a physical exam as it is not possible to confirm it though photographs.

Thank you for your question and the best of wishes to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Breast augmentation question

+1

The redness is what bothers me in your pictures. I hope it is not a sign of infection but rather prolonged inflammation.  I would make sure you see your doctor for follow up before 3 months. No concern for bottoming out at this point. Good Luck!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Bottoming out or skin excess with an augmentation-mastopexy?

+1

Looks like you had a "lollipop" breast lift (no horizontal incision).  It would have been useful to  include a) the right 3/4 and profile views to compare with the left side, with which you are concerned & b) your pre-op pics.  The BL/BA is a tough op because both the PS and patient have a lot of expectations: good symmetry, equivalent nipple position and areolar diameters, acceptable scars and a "hand in glove fit".  By this I mean that the implant (hand) should be covered snugly with the breast flap (skin & tissue or "glove").  Your results are relatively early and you might expect further settling.  One way you can determine whether this is bottoming out or skin excess is to pinch the base of the breast.  If you can feel the implant, it's probably bottoming out.  If you can't it's probably due to excess skin/breast tissue.  The latter is easier to treat by extending the breast lift in a short horizontal distance.  Hope this helps. Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD