Have I bottomed out or is it just swelling? (photo)

I am a little over two months post op. I recently had an appointment with concern that my left breat has slightly bottomed out. My DR says that I havent and they look great. He says I am still bery swollen. I had a slight complication during surgery. I picked 450CC which barely fit. Anything bigger and surgery would not have been completed, so due to think I have been told that my recovery process will take longer than usual, therefore why I am still swollen. I've enclosed a picture. Help!

Not bottoming out

+1

Your photos show a good result and no evidence of bottoming out.  Bottoming out can occur after breast augmentation surgery when the implant drops down lower than the breast fold.

Concerns of Bottoming Out

+1

Bottoming out can occur following breast augmentation, but did not occur in this case.  The breasts are round and full, and there may be some swelling still present.  If the lower pole of the breast looks significantly longer than preop, then bottoming out may have occurred. 

Bottomign out?

+1

Hi Kay and thanks for your question. No, you have not bottomed out. The roundness at the bottom of your breasts in the before and after photos is appropriate and reflects your natural anatomy. In addition, you have a very nice result after breast augmentation. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Bottoming out?

+1

Both folds seem even, and I see no evidence of anything that I would call "bottoming out." I see nothing that suggests anything but normal healing and a nice result. Best wishes.

Post op

+1

you appear to have a very normal post operative appearance. Healing after surgery will continue for 6-9 months

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Bottoming out after breast augmentation surgery

+1

When large implants are used there can be more downward migration of the implants over time when compared to smaller implants.  At 2 months after surgery the implants have certainly dropped but they haven't dropped all the way.  That usually takes 3 months or longer.  When I see that the implants have dropped to nearly the desired end point before 3 months I have my patients wear a supportive bra nearly 24/7 in order to help maintain the shape.  This is done until they are 3 months or so after surgery.  The breast asymmetries that you have commented on appear to be the same ones that were present preoperatively, but it would be helpful to discuss with your surgeon the role of maintaining proper support at this time in order to minimize further downward migration of the left side.

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

It is too early to see bottoming out of your breast implants

+1

Early in the post operative course it is not likely to see bottoming out of the breast implants.  Bottoming out usually takes time to occur and does not become noticeable until the healing process is complete.  Usually bottoming out is caused by large implants that are too heavy for the space they are in.  The result is a slow migration downward which may take months to become obvious.  In any case it does not look like that is what is happening to you.

Dev Wali, MD
Claremont Plastic Surgeon

Meeting Expectations with Breast Augmentation

+1

You have a very acceptable early result from your breast augmentation.  There is some degree of asymmetry which was present pre-operatively.  In general you will be about 80% of the way towards your final result at 3 months, but every one is different.  Give it some time and express your concerns to your plastic surgeon.  

Have I Bottomed Out?

+1

No you are NOT bottoming out. The result appears very good and I believe you should try to understand these healing concepts with your si=urgeon in more detail. 

No bottoming out

+1

FIist, you have two different breasts and they do not look like you bottomed out.  They look great and remember some asymmetry which like you started with is normal.