Bottom Lips Nerve/muscle Damage Following Motorcycle Accident? (photo)

I had a motorcycle accident mid February 2013 (2 month ago) with multiples injuries including lacerations on my face that were closed by surgeons. Since then I recovered pretty well except on my bottom lips area where the muscle does not work and is numb. How long does it take for the numbness to disappear and the muscle to go back to normal on the lips? i.e. when should I consider the muscle and nerve dead? Is there a solution to get the muscle on my lips back to normal ?

Bottom Lips Nerve/muscle Damage Following Motorcycle Accident?

+2

Thank you for providing images. The numbness will typically improve over the first year. You will likely see significant improvement. With regard to the muscle weakness in your lower lip (lip does not depress when you smile or try to show your lower teeth) that might or might not improve. The main issue is that if the nerve was cut (your scar runs right over the course of the nerve) it might not improve at all. However, if the nerve was stretched or "beaten up" it will likely come back but this can take 12-18 months. In the meantime, you can treat the unaffected side with Botox to provide better symmetry. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

You should ask the surgeon whether the nerve was cut or stretched and whether the muscle was cut or just bruised. If the nerve was stretched it will recover in 12 months. If cut it will take longer and it is likely some permanent weakness will remain. If the nerve and muscle were cut the outcome can be unpredictable. Botox to treat the opposite intact muscle to weaken it may restore the balance but it is important you see someone who has expertise in this area

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon