Can Botox Make Your Eye Lids Droopy if Your Doctors Says It Was Going to Happen Anyways?

i had botox done for the first time I never had droopy eyelids before. I was told by the doctor who did it that the botox just showed what was going to happen anyways and that I need a brow lift now. I had never had droopy eylids before. What should I do?

Botox and droopy brows

+1

Some people are more prone than others to developing a droopy brow after Botox. For those people whose brows are starting to descend but they don't realize it, the upper eyelids can come down as the same complex with the forehead. As this gradually occurs when we age past the mid thirties, the forehead muscle starts to contract at rest. In other words, there is a resting tone of the forehead which is used without our realizing it, and it is contracting to help  lift up the eyebrows and eyelids. This creates redundant skin folds of the forehead and eventually horizontal creases.  It is patients with those horizontal creases that may see their foreheads sag after Botox, depending on how much of a surface area of the forehead is treated.  They won't be able to lift up the forehead any longer, so the eyebrows that were destined to droop with the upper eyelids, will do so until the Botox wears off.

To compensate for this, we often inject the glabellar region of the lower forehead between th eyebrows to help provide an upward lift and antagonize the drooping effect. In fact, it is rare that I would not inject the glabella if I am treating the forehead for this reason.

Droopy eyelids after Botox

+1

Naphcon-A available OTC will helps some by strenghtening Mueller's muscle that raises the lid, but the best is Iodopine on prescription.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox Doesn't Have To Cause Droopy Eyelids

+1

Botox works by relaxing muscles. The overall effect is therefore determined by which muscles are injected, what those muscles do, and how much the muscle is weakened. If you inject most the muscle that lifts the forehead in order to correct the horizontal forehead wrinkles, you are weakening the primary muscle that keeps the forehead up. The muscles that pull the brow down now have a competitive advantage and will pull the brow down without any opposition, giving a predictable "droopy" look. The key when injecting the forehead is to weaken only a small part of the muscle that lifts, while at the same time weakening one of the muscles that pulls the forehead down (usually the lateral orbicularis muscle under the lateral eyebrow). This will keep the eyelids from drooping (and often even lifts them slightly). Your forehead wrinkles will be better but not gone, there will still be some movement of the forehead, and the brow will be slightly higher- a much better overall result.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and droopy eyelids

+1

It sounds like the doctor may have injected too much Botox into the forehead and weakened the frontalis muscle, causing eyebrow/eyelid drooping.  This is relatively common and will resolve with time.  I would not do any other treatment or surgery until the Botox effect is fully worn off.  When I treat the forehead with Botox, I am conservative to try to avoid getting any brow depression.  It is easy to add more Botox, but once it's injected, you can't take it out.  Fortunately, any adverse effects from Botox will resolve as it's a temporary product. 

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

No, if Botox weakened the forehead muscles leading to upper eyelid drooping, then this should disappear after the Botox wears off in 3-4 months.  Wait until it's all gone before you do anything else.

Get away from this doctor.

+1

So sorry that you are not super pleased with your BOTOX treatment.  The situation sounds goofy.  I personally disagree with your doctors assessment.  We have a say that if you tell someone about something before the event it is an explanation but if you tell them the same thing after the event it is an excuse.