Getting Botox Too Young?

I heard that if you start doing Botox too young, in the long run you could end up with a forehead that is messed up (droops down, sags down?). What's the truth? I started Botox at 26 years old and I am now 27 years old - I did it 3 different times within one year - all in moderation of course. But... am I going to regret it when I'm really beginning to show signs of aging? Confused.

Long term effects of Botox usage

+2

It is difficult to predict the long term effects as the cosmetic product has only been in widespread use for 5 years depsite reports dating back 20 years or more.

Botox won't cause a sagging forehead because of many years of use

+1

I have been using cosmetic Botox for 17 years. I do not see that patients become saggy because of the Botox any more than patients who have not had Botox but continue to show the aging effects as collagen and elastin are affected so that the skin will be expected to droop. Patients in their late twenties can have their entire forehead treated usually, if needed but in our late thirties the forehead would have begun to drop (without ever having had Botox) and then the doctor is limited in where the Botox can be placed without worsening this droop. So it's not the long term use of Botox that creates the problem. It is possibly though and somewhat theoretical, that there might be an immune reaction that decreases the longevity of the response after many years of use. A few of my patients who needed to come in around every 4 to 5 months initially, now, 10 to 12 years later, are noting that they only have one to two months of duration. This condition might cause you to be frustrated in the future. Moderation is important to maintain and not to eliminate every line. Keep some animation and natural appearance.

Ronald Shelton, MD