Will Botox Help Wrinkles That Appear Only when I Smile?

I have big wrinkles under my eyes and on my cheeks, but only when I smile. Otherwise my skin looks pretty smooth. Will botox help this? Will botox help wrinkles that appear only when I smile?

Botox for crows feet wrinkles works great

You are a good candidate for botox injections around the eyes. Expect it to last about 3-4 months and take about 1 week to see full affect for about $300-350.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for under eye wrinkles

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photo. Botox may help to soften the wrinkles under the eyes. It does require a very small amount and it will help to soften the lines. It will not necessarily reduce all the wrinkles like you might see in the forehead or crows feet region. If you never tried Botox, then you may want to start with the crows feet region based on your photos with about 12 units on each side. 

If you start with under the eyes, you will notice a soft relaxation of the dynamic lines under the eyes, and you may notice a slight opening of the eyes. I would start with 1-2 units under the eyes on each side. If you like the effects, then it is very easy to incorporate this into your future treatments.

Dermal fillers such as Restylane can be used to fill in shadows under the eye and achieves a more rested look. You can combine the two treatments but it would require a thoughtful approach and careful analysis of your concerns to ensure that treatment options will help you achieve your goals.

I would recommend visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist in your area to address your concern as it is an advanced area to treat.

Botox smooths out wrinkles

Thanks for your question. Botox relaxes muscles, so it is particularly good at smoothing out lines around the eyes while maintaining a natural look. Botox should be injected by a certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

Cory Torgerson
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox For Eye Wrinkles

Botox is actually specifically designed for wrinkles and creases that appear when your muscles contract, as is the case when you smile.

Yes botox will help minimize smile lines

Botox in the crow's feet area will certainly help improve the appearance of the lines that appear when you smile. You will still be able to smile, of course, but it will just nicely help to smooth out the wrinkles around your eyes. You cannot chase every smile line towards the upper part of the cheek, however, as doing so could result in inadvertent treatment of muscles that affect you lip and cause a crooked smile. It is best to conservatively treat the area to soften the lines while giving a natural look.

Ritu Saini, MD

Botox is great for smile wrinkles

Botox is the best method to treat facial lines that occur with any facial expression, including smiling. You should recognize, however, that total elimination of facial expression is neither realistic or desirable. Treatments must be customized for each patient to achieve the best balance between eliminating unwanted expression line and causing an un-natural result.

Bruce E. Genter, MD, FACS
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Crows Feet

It is important to remember (as all the physicians have already pointed out) that Botox will temporarily paralyze your facial muscles helping to eliminate wrinkles and smooth surrounding skin. However, it wont prevent you from smiling (fortunately) and the entirely natural skin creasing that occurs with this.

If you squint (pretend you are looking directly at a bright light) you will tighten the muscles around the eyes - Botox will limit the lines around the eyes with appropriate placement in the "crows foot" area. If you eliminate muscle movement to simulate Botox, and if you push your cheek upward without smiling - the skin around your eyes will still crease even without moving a single muscle. The skin has to crease somewhere (like an accordion) as you elevate the cheek and smile naturally. Thus, even with perfect Botox placement, you will likely still see some, although diminished, "crows feet" wrinkles with a strong smile, and a natural smile is still always attractive on a woman's face.

Best of luck.

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Botox for Smile Lines

Botox is the ideal agent for improving the smile lines called crow's feet ( who called them crow's feet anyway...much more romantic if they had been dubbed raven feet.. The expense to correct crow's feet is minimal since less units are used, and the area surprisingly is not particularly painful.

However chose you physician carefully. Many inexperienced physicians place too many units directly below the eye. This can cause unpleasant ruffled appearance.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Botox is for wrinkles that are from muscle action

You have exactly what Botox is made for. Crow's feet can be effectively minimized with proper use of Botox. The results will last 4 months and need to be repeated on an ongoing basis.

Botox for Smile Wrinkles

Yes, Botox Cosmetic or Dysport will help for the lines around your eyes when you smile. These are called crow's feet. and Botox is very effective. The lines on your cheeks will be helped moderately. However, if too much Botox is injected in this area, it could negatively affect your smile. Good luck with your injections.

David Shafer, MD