Will Botox Help Wrinkles That Appear Only when I Smile?

I have big wrinkles under my eyes and on my cheeks, but only when I smile. Otherwise my skin looks pretty smooth. Will botox help this? Will botox help wrinkles that appear only when I smile?

Botox for crows feet wrinkles works great

+2
You are a good candidate for botox injections around the eyes. Expect it to last about 3-4 months and take about 1 week to see full affect for about $300-350.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox For Eye Wrinkles

+1
Botox is actually specifically designed for wrinkles and creases that appear when your muscles contract, as is the case when you smile.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Yes botox will help minimize smile lines

+1

Botox in the crow's feet area will certainly help improve the appearance of the lines that appear when you smile. You will still be able to smile, of course, but it will just nicely help to smooth out the wrinkles around your eyes. You cannot chase every smile line towards the upper part of the cheek, however, as doing so could result in inadvertent treatment of muscles that affect you lip and cause a crooked smile. It is best to conservatively treat the area to soften the lines while giving a natural look.

Ritu Saini, MD

Botox is great for smile wrinkles

+1

Botox is the best method to treat facial lines that occur with any facial expression, including smiling. You should recognize, however, that total elimination of facial expression is neither realistic or desirable. Treatments must be customized for each patient to achieve the best balance between eliminating unwanted expression line and causing an un-natural result.

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Crows Feet

+1

It is important to remember (as all the physicians have already pointed out) that Botox will temporarily paralyze your facial muscles helping to eliminate wrinkles and smooth surrounding skin. However, it wont prevent you from smiling (fortunately) and the entirely natural skin creasing that occurs with this.

If you squint (pretend you are looking directly at a bright light) you will tighten the muscles around the eyes - Botox will limit the lines around the eyes with appropriate placement in the "crows foot" area. If you eliminate muscle movement to simulate Botox, and if you push your cheek upward without smiling - the skin around your eyes will still crease even without moving a single muscle. The skin has to crease somewhere (like an accordion) as you elevate the cheek and smile naturally. Thus, even with perfect Botox placement, you will likely still see some, although diminished, "crows feet" wrinkles with a strong smile, and a natural smile is still always attractive on a woman's face.

Best of luck.

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Botox for Smile Lines

+1

Botox is the ideal agent for improving the smile lines called crow's feet ( who called them crow's feet anyway...much more romantic if they had been dubbed raven feet.. The expense to correct crow's feet is minimal since less units are used, and the area surprisingly is not particularly painful.

However chose you physician carefully. Many inexperienced physicians place too many units directly below the eye. This can cause unpleasant ruffled appearance.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Botox is for wrinkles that are from muscle action

+1

You have exactly what Botox is made for. Crow's feet can be effectively minimized with proper use of Botox. The results will last 4 months and need to be repeated on an ongoing basis.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Botox for Smile Wrinkles

+1

Yes, Botox Cosmetic or Dysport will help for the lines around your eyes when you smile. These are called crow's feet. and Botox is very effective. The lines on your cheeks will be helped moderately. However, if too much Botox is injected in this area, it could negatively affect your smile. Good luck with your injections.

David Shafer, MD

Botox should work well for your laugh lines

+1

Botox works well for expression lines- lines that form when we smile, frown, and make other expressions. The laugh lines are nicely minimized, but the lines lower on the cheeks and those on the lower eyelids will still be present to some extent. (These are a result of your skin being pushed up, and a few lines are normal and, in fact, desirable- we want you to still be expressive.)

Based on your photos, I think that you would have a nice result with Botox for your smile lines. Botox also works well for frown lines between the eyebrows, crease lines across the forehead, and can help lift the brow and the corners of the mouth.

Michael D. Yates, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Pbotox for skin wrinkles

+1

Botox will help some of your outer eyelid wrinkles but some near the cheekbone and lower eyelids won't lessen. Botox is not used too low in that area so that your smile is not affected.

Ronald Shelton, MD