How Often Do Younger People Need Botox Injections?

I'm a 32-year-old, and I'm thinking of having Botox for the first time. How often do people around my age need to get re-injected? Is it less, since my wrinkles are less severe, than let's say, a 50-year-old's? I wanted to inject Botox in between my eyebrows and maybe a little crow's feet. I have had a lot of sun exposure throughout the years, since I was a ski instructor for many years. I undergo occasional chemical peels to help with my melasma and hoped that some Botox could help with some of the wrinkles.

Age does not make a difference for Botox

+2

Botox does not generally require different frequency of administration based on age. The number of units will differ depending on the muscle mass and depth of wrinkle, but most people, regardless of age, need to have Botox repeated every 4-5 months, sometimes less and sometimes more frequently.

The 'effects' of Botox may vary between patients

+2

On average, most patients will notice that they will see a return of 'dynamic' wrinkles (those created from muscle contraction) by three months after injections of Botox.

Some patients do not want to see any movement or appearance of any wrinkles and may feel that Botox only lasts them 2-3 months, while other patients may say that their Botox lasted them 6-9 months, but upon examination you see a fair amount of movement.

In general, this is not dependent on age. You may find someone in their late 20's or early 30s with very animated wrinkles that are quite apparent with only little muscle contraction, while you may see a 60-year-old patient with few dynamic wrinkles.

Sanjay Grover, MD

How Long Botox Lasts & How Often to Get Botox

+1

We frequently see patients who are in their early 30s with vertical glabeller frown lines. This group often benefits from botox injections for this problem. Under these circumstances, the patient's age doesn't appear to impact the duration of botox.

The duration of the response to botox varies from patient to patient and depends on a variety of factors. In the majority of patients , botox last for 3 to 4 months, but in some cases it may last only 2 months, while in other cases it may last up to 8 months.

These variations occur for several reasons. In some patients, the facial muscles may be unusually strong or large and for this reason botox wears off quickly. There may also be variations in the patient's aesthetic goals. Some patients may want a stronger effect from botox with obliteration of all facial lines of expression even during facial animation. While others may still want a more expressive face during animation. These aesthetic goals can affect how much botox is utilized and it’s duration of action. For these reasons it's important to make sure your aesthetic goals are understood by your practitioner.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Younger people may need less Botox, but can still benefit.

+1
Botox works for everyone, but I disagree with a lot of the marketing hype that says you should start with it BEFORE you even get a wrinkle. That's a bit too aggressive. However, in your situation, with your history of skiing and exposure to bright sun, you could probably benefit from a low enough dose of Botox to soften your ability to crease the skin without totally freezing you. This would allow the skin to smooth itself out over time, which it will be able to do if you keep up the Botox treatments about every 3 to 6 months (depending on your own muscles and skin--this needs to be seen in person). If you do keep up your treatments regularly, you will gradually be able to come less often, since your muscles and skin will be used to resting!

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

+1
No matter how young you are Botox needs to be repeated once every 3-4 months.
If you are younger, your skin is thicker and hence the wrinkles are not as visible as someone older who has thinner skin. So the number of units per treatment will be less.

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

How often do younger people need Botox injections?

+1
The age of the patient has has nothing to do with the frequency of Botox injections. The Botox effect is dependent upon the size and strength of the muscle, the amount and concentration of Botox placed in the muscle, and whether or not patient's have developed antibodies to the Botox material. Most patients receive Botox injections every 4-8 months.

Botox can help people of all ages

+1
When you are younger and the wrinkles are less deep it may take a little less Botox to get rid of your wrinkles.  Re-injection is either four to six months depending on how you respond to the injections.  I have found over the years that Botox is especially wonderful for my younger patients because it treats the existing wrinkles and prevents new ones! Just try to use sun block daily to prevent new wrinkles as well!

Michele S. Green, MD

How Often Do Younger People Need Botox Injections

+1

Some people start their treatments early to avoid having deep furrows later in life. Once on a routine maintenance of Botox and skin care products such as Obagi  the face will tend to look younger for many years to come.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Botox, Wrinkle Treatment, Beverly Hills Botox, Los Angeles Botox, Nasal Surgery, Beverly Hills Rhinoplasty

+1

When you have Botox or Dysport treatments, the effects typically last 3-4 months and patients seem to get treatments at 6 month intervals.  Your age has less to do with the interval between Botox or Dysport Injections as does your desire to reduce the unwanted lines and wrinkles and keep them away. 

For them not to appear, treatments at 3-4 months are more likely.  If you can tolerate the lines and wrinkles returing in part or fully, treatment intervals could be increased to every 6 months or longer.  It's really up to you and you should see how you feel.

Botox injections

+1

Usually Botox lasts about 4 months but by about the third month you start to see some movment in the muscles.