Would Botox Help for Static Wrinkles Under my Eyes?

The wrinkles that bother me are the "static" ones that remain when not smiling. I know it's caused by my smiling, because it is where they skin creases that they remain when I'm not smiling. They are not that deep but will undoubtedly get worse. Would preventative botox plus lasering of what creases are already there be an option?

Maybe, but be careful

+2

This is a very tricky area to inject Botox. After all the purpose  of Botox is too weaken ( do I dare say paralyze) muscles. Weakening the orbiularis oculi muscle may be helpful in treating the muscle pull of crow's feet area, but could very well impair your looks for some time if the sub-orbit is treated. The sub-orbit( area under your eyes) depends on the orbicularis oculi muscle to hold the soft tissue in place.

I know some physicians are very skilled at injecting tiny amounts of Botox in the right place. However, you should be aware that many are not, and you might end up with more wrinkles and sagging instead of the firmness you desire.

You might investigate the Ulthera device. This is a machine which utilizes ultrasound to tighten the skin, especially the upper and lower brow. We actually will be investigating this machine ourselves  next week, so if there are any"guinea pigs" out there please let our office know. 

Frqctionated laser devices also have been reported to be effective for this troublesome area.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Static Wrinkles and Botox under the Eyes

+1
Botox is generally not used to treat the static wrinkles under the eyes.  It is much better for "active" wrinkles - wrinkles of movement.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist for the best cosmetic results.

Michele S. Green, MD

+1

Not generally. Static wrinkles are best treated with fillers or peels or surgery of the lower lid. Botox is better for dynamic wrinkles.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Static versus dynamic lines around the eyes.

+1

It's nice that you know the difference between the types of lines.  Static lines do improve a little, and combined with even a mild resurfacing will deliver a great result.  As young as you are, you are on the right track doing these non-invasive procedures prior to resorting to surgery.  Hope this helps.

Ritu Chopra, MD

Botullinum Toxin (Dysport and Botox) and lower eyelid static lines

+1

This is a tough area. Very small and superficial doses into the pretarsal obicularis may help but it could also result in worsening of lower eyelid bags but it may be worth a try. A superficial skin pinch technique with oribiculais suspension is an alternative surgical option.

Botox and static wrinkles

+1

Botox wil not help static wrinkles under the eyes.  This is due to loose skin after the lower lid muscle flexes.

Botox for under eye wrinkles

+1

Do not get this area injected. There are muscles here that affect your smile especially at the sides. Also if you have lax skin, your eyes could just sink open a little and make things worse. Fractionated carbon dioxide laser is the best preventative treatment in my opinion

Elisabeth Shim, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Treating lower eyelid wrinkles

+1

Because lower eyelid lines or wrinkles do not disappear or lessen when you are not smilling does not make them static or adynamic. Lower eyelid lines are in fact dynamic because the skin is directly stuck onto the underlying obicularis oculi muscle with virtually no intervening fat. It is the movement of these muscles in squinting and blinking not the act of smiling that creates the lower eyelid wrinkles. This could conceivably be treated with botox but the high risk of ectropion and tearing in doing so invalidate this as a safe approach. Sometimes the wrinkles are aggravated by repeated bouts of allergies with swelling of the lower eyelid skin and the creation of extra eyelid skin.

There is no good guaranteed way to get rid of all lower eyelid wrinkles. Everyone of my blepharoplasty patients signs a consent that states there is no way to get rid of every single lower eyelid wrinkle. In your case it would be best to

• have your vision checked for possible eyeglasses or lasik if squinting is a contributing factor
  • control your allergies with regular medications rather than wait for allergic reactions to pollen etc to occur if that is a contributing factor
  • see a local plastic surgeon to evaluate if extra skin is a contributing fact in which case a blepharoplasty may get you at least some of the effect you want

Some surgeons like laser of the lower eyelid skin but I have not found this to be reliable because it does not safely get rid of enough skin if excess skin is the problem and only temporarily removes dynamic lines as it only works on the surface skin without affecting the underlying muscle.

Aaron Stone, MD

Botox Should NOT be used for Wrinkles of the Middle and Inner Lower Lid

+1
The best use of Botox is in relaxing facial expression muscles which crease and wrinkle the overlying skin. When Botox is used on the lower lid skin, the underlying muscle is weakened and loses its power to keep the eye socket fat in the orbit. As a result, the fat pooches out resulting in significant bagging of the lower lid. In effect worsening the overall look of the eyelids. You could get a MUCH nicer correction with either a skin pinch blepharoplasty OR with skin resurfacing with modalities such as the SCITON Joule - MicroLaser Peel or ProFractional treatments which would greatly smooth the skin with minimal down time. Dr. Aldea