Does Botox Work on Lower Cheeks and Upper Lip Wrinkles?

Botox works well in the lip but not as well as between the eyes or forehead...

+1

you still need some movement of the muscles around your lip so there's only a limited amount of product that can be used without difficulty drinking and keeping liquids in your mouth...so a little bit is great and can reduce the lip lines by a significant amount...just be cautious and conservative in your treatments...always okay in this area to start with a little bit and in 1-2 weeks add more if necessary to find the appropriate amount that works best for you...botox is not generally used for the lower cheeks but in rare instances small amounts can be used...for instance in people with muscle tics, spasm, etc...

Botox For Lip Wrinkles

+1

Botox can absolutely relax the wrinkles to the perioral area. If you have never undergone Botox treatments before, it's a great idea to schedule a consultation with at the office of an experienced facial plastic surgeon, as injectors who specialize in the face often have the greatest experience.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Botox for Upper Lip Wrinkles

+1

Small amounts of Botox work well to diminish the appearance of upper lip wrinkles.  This treatment also works synergistically with microdroplet amounts of filler placed into these wrinkles.  I use a diluted amount of filler to help elevate the depressions caused by the wrinkles.

Anthony Bared, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for the lips and cheek

+1

I do not personally recommend Botox for the cheeks and in rare circumstances inject it for the lips as it may cause problems with asymmetry, droopy lips, drooling - something like belotero and other fillers can be helped with wrinkles around the lips.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Botox use for the lower face

+1

Nancy

Botox works by relaxing specific and targeted muscles, which speaks to it's precision.  But there are not clear muscles of the lower cheek that can injected without problems, specifically altering your smile and facial expression.  So we don't use botox for the lower cheeks.  usually this is addressed with filler or some level of resurfacing.

Botox around the lips is maybe a little controversial.  Some docs like it here, some do not.  I am one that does not like it in the lips.  The reason why I don't is because patients more commonly have abnormally altered sensation or mobility here than in other injected areas, meaning a tighter window of getting it right.  Patients complain of a weak lip when speaking, sucking a straw, puckering, kissing, or holding a cigarette.  That can occur even if the aesthetic result is maximal.  The second reason I'm not a  big fan is because you will see from most of the other posts that you need an experienced injector that uses small conservative amounts.  That's very true.  But the small amounts comment means that the results can be more subtle than expected, or that the results wear off faster than more conventional 3-6 mo quotes we suggest for botox in the glabella, forehead, crows feet, etc.  So in the end, I tell patients to apply the money to more effective treatments using fillers and resurfacing.

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox great for upper lip

+1

I do use a lot of Botox and Dysport for the upper lip. It helps relax wrinkles and when I do this along with a filler it seems do make the filler do better and maybe even last longer.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Botox and areas to treat

+1

Botox does work on upper lip wrinkles and depending on what the desired outcome is, can be used when injected properly to relax specific muscles. With regard to "lower cheeks" it's unclear exactly what the need is so it is difficult to answer your question. For jaw reduction, Botox is injected into the masseters but beyond this, the mid-cheek is not a common area for treatment.

Sam Naficy, MD

Botox for lower facial wrinkles

+1

Many patients are familiar for Botox in the upper face, such as Crow's feet, in between the eyes, or forehead. While less popular, Botox has also been used in the lower face, such as lip or chin areas. Hyaluronic acids (Restylane, Juvederm, Belotero, etc) are more commonly used, however, for the cheeks and lips. Wrinkles around the mouth or lips may require combination treatment, such as resurfacing, filling, and relaxing. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a specialist help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Cheeks or Lips?

+1

Hi Nancy.  We do not use Botox for the lower cheeks.  We do use it for the upper lip in combination with a filler like Belotero, Restylane or Juvederm.  The plumping effect of the fillers work nicely with the Botox to smooth wmoker's lines on the upper lip.    

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Botox in cheeks and upper lip

+1

Botox needs to be used very minimally in the lip region or it can cause you to not be able to talk, eat, drink, smile, etc. properly. So if you want this done, please make sure you visit a very experienced injector - do not search for "deals" on Botox for this area! Also, Botox should not be used in the cheeks. Remember that Botox inhibits muscle movement. So putting it in the cheeks can make you look sunken, or again, have an affect on how you smile, talk, etc. Fillers are much better in that area. Visit a board-certified core physician - derm, plastic surgeon, etc. for an evaluation and discussion about what you need.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD