Once Botox Wears Off, is It Possible for the Muscle to Have Been Trained for at Least a Slight Permanent Fix?

After I try botox and once it wears off, is it really possible for the muscle to have trained itself to be more relaxed, and it my case remain maybe at least a little lower then it is now? I want to try it above my eyebrow to get my eyebrow to sit lower, because I have assymetric eyebrows. I ask this because if it's going to go back exactly the way it was, then there's no point. I don't want to get injections every 6 months for the rest of my life, i want a permanent fix :(

+1

Yes, but not with a single application or Botox treatment.  The way I look at this issue is that repeated Botox, Dysport or Xeomin injections at 3-4 month intervals, keep weakening the targeted muscle.  Eventually that muscle stays smaller or weaker.  How many treatments that takes will depend on the size and strength of the targeted muscle.

Botox and asymmetric eyebrows

+1

It is possible that after several botox treatments, your muscle habits may change and the pulling up of one eyebrow may relax. Possibly your muscles may retrain themselves after only one treatment but this is not the norm. You could try one session, and try hard not to voluntarily pull up the eyebrow as the botox wears off in three to four months, not even once, and maybe this will help long term. If you find that the eyebrow goes back up the same as it was before Botox, you don't have to continue the treatments.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Asymmetric Eyebrow Position

+1

Tyler

I think Botox is the best option for you at this time. I understand that you don't want to get injections every 6 months, but you have to look at the alternatives.  Surgery might offer a more permanent result, but is more expensive and you might still have asymmetry.  Certainly doing nothing is also an option - so you have to weigh the expense, inconvenience and pain of injections with value of the cosmetic improvement. 

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Botox and muscles

+1

Muscle weakening takes several treatments over continuous use of Botox. It will not just happen after one use.

The 6 month time frame for BOTOX working includes the muscle training component.

+1

Botox lasts for 3 to 4 months.  After than any lasting effect are from muscle retraining.  However, these wear off as well.  The precise time frame varies from person to person.  

Lasting results from Botox

+1

Greetings Tyler~

I wish I had a great answer or perfect solution for you.  It's difficult to say for sure what the effects of the Botox would be for your brow either short or long term without seeing you either in person or some more detailed photographs, including ones with you in different stages of animation. If the reason one brow is higher is because you have a natural tendency to raise one side then it is possible that a few treatments of Botox may help you re-learn or un-learn this behavior. If it is something that bothers you terribly and you want a permanent solution you may wish to consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon about your surgical options for correction.

Best of luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD