Will Botox Work for Lines Under the Eyes?

I am not concerned with my crows feet as much as the lines that are under my eyes. They are deep even when I am not smiling, which is when they are the worst! Would Botox work for lines underneath my eyes?

Botox and fillers together work well for under eye wrinkles

+2

Botox only works half of the time for dynamic lines under the eyes, but when it works, it is very nice. Often fillers such a restylane, juvederm or diluted radiesse work well for the stationary lines under the eyes but should be done in 2-3 sessions and are combined with the botox to give optimum results.

Botox $300; restylane or juvederm $550 / syringe; radiesse $630 per syringe.

Web reference: http://www.TheBestLipoDoc.com/drdavidhansen/landing/

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox under the eyes definitely worth a try

+1

For the area beneath the eyes very little amount of Botox is needed.

If this, however, did not work for you, a Hyaluronic based filler such as Prevelle or Resylane may help those lines.

Finally, other procedures such as chemical peels or Fraxel CO2 repair may help if Botx and Fillers were not adequate.

Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox can work for lines under the eyes

+1

I believe from your description that the lines under your eyes will be improved with Botox.

Dynamic lines, just like "crows feet" can be relaxed with Botox and you should discuss your goals with your plastic surgeon.

Botox for wrinkles under the eyes

+1

Botox may be beneficial to address wrinkles under the eyes depending on their severity. Fines lines located on the lateral aspect under the eyelid tend to respond better than those in the middle.

Sometimes the addition of a chemical peel will help smooth the wrinkles out more. If your lines are deep while at rest or do not respond to these other methods, you may require treatment with a laser.

My advice is to start conservatively and work your way up to more aggressive, expensive treatments if needed.

Munster Plastic Surgeon

Botox not the usual best choice for under eye lines

+1

As you know, Botox works by relaxing hyperactive muscles that cause wrinkles by repeatedly folding the skin. Crow's feet are an excellent example of this, but under eye lines are usually not. There are some people who have a hyperactive muscle just below the eyelashes, but this usually appears as a bulge rather than deep lines. I suspect that the lines you are seeing are caused by skin laxity and so would not be helped by Botox. An eyelid tuck (blepharoplasty) or a chemical or laser peel are the usual first lines of approach there.

Botox for the lower eyelids

+1

If the lines are present at rest, as in your situation, then Botox may not help that much, compared with resurfacing for photodamage-induced lines. This can be done by fractional Fraxel laser or chemical peels. Fillers may look lumpy in this area or may be visible because of the thin skin. Some patients who do have lines underneath the lower eyelids when smiling can obtain a nice result with very small units of Botox as long as there is no tendency for puffiness (the lack of muscle movement after Botox could minimize the draining of fluids and if one is prone to puffiness of the lower lids, then it could be compounded). Also, some patients have poor skin tone of the lower eyelid and the lid can be made to drop if Botox is injected there. That can create a dry feeling of the eye.

Botox and other options for under eye wrinkles

+1

Botox would probably soften some of these lines, i.e. make them less deep & less in number. A very valid option is a chemical peel with 35% TCA or a phenol peel that is specially formulated for the thin eyelid skin.

Fractional laser may be another alternative. The trick is to be onservative so as not to end with "ectropion" with "show" of the white of the eye.

Detroit Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox under eyes might work

+1

if injected by a physician experienced in treating this area of the eyelid. Small amounts of Botox placed carefully under the eyelid work quite nicely. Be sure that you receive treatment from a doctor familiar with the anatomy and functional physiology of the eyelid musculature. I would recommend a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Botox for lines under eyes

+1

The other answers are all correct just a couple points:

1. I do think its worth a try with Botox to get rid of the most laterally located lower wrinkles...I definitely have patients for whom this has worked well. The more midline wrinkles aren't appropriate for Botox

2. I would do the Botox first before doing the filler. You may find you need less filler once the resting muscle tone is diminished by the Botox.

My two cents.

Munster Plastic Surgeon

Botox for lines under the eyes

+1

Hard to be sure the exact area of the lower lid you are asking about. Without a photo, my recommendation is to try a very low dose by an expert Botox injector to see if it works for you. Costs should only be around $200 to $300.

If not happy, it will wear off within a few months.

Regards from Miami