Can Botox Be Injected Under the Eye?

I have crinkles under my eye.  My dermatologist and others refuse to put Botox under the eye.  The crinkles come when I smile, so I realize that it is my cheeks that are pushing into the eye area and cause the crinkles to form. One expert recommended fraxel which did nothing for the crinkles. I have heard that some doctors will put botox under the eye, is this possible?

Botox can be injected on the under eyes

+5

It is possible to put Botox underneath the eye to help with those lines as well as the small bags that form under the eyes. A small bleb of botox (1-2 units) is placed in the area where the bags are. This should really only be done when the crow's feet are being treated wtih Botox at the same time, otherwise the effect will be minimal.

Keep in mind, that, the cheek muscles are strong and if you have bulbous or bigger cheeks, lines will continue to form underneath the eyes as that excess skin is displaced upwards as you smile. Also, bruising is definitely a possible side effect of injecting in this area. I think it's a small amount of Botox to try, so it's definitely worth a shot to see if it provides you with any benefit.

Beverly Hills Dermatologist

A tiny amount of Botox under the eye COULD be helpful, but is high risk.

+3

Your doctor may be correct in your situation, to avoid the Botox directly under the eye. It is very individual, and depends what the purpose of it is exactly. Remember that Botox does NOT smooth wrinkles. It only weakens underlying muscles. This may have the effect of smoothing a wrinkle, or it may have the effect of weakening the muscles that are important for blinking and closing your eyes safely. In addition, too much Botox around the lower lid can actually cause sagging and bagging. Be cautious.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Not everyone will benefit from Botox under the eyes

+3

Botox works well for the thicker band of muscle that some people have, but if the lines form when you make a big smile, then I doubt you will see improvement from undereyelid placement of Botox. This is because you would have to have the Botox placed over the cheek bone, and this would possibly interfere with smiling, eating and speaking. You might look different from side to side, your corner of the lip lower on one side, etc.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox can be injected for Crow's feet but not under the eyes

+2
Botox cannot be used for the wrinkles under the eyes.  You can put Botox for the wrinkles on the sides of your eyes but not right underneath. If you place Botox there you will distort the natural look of your cheek and smile. This would be a very unnatural looking and unwanted side effect.  Fraxel will not help what you are describing either. It sounds like there is some excess skin which may need to be surgically treated one day. It is really important to find an experienced injector for the best results.

Michele S. Green, MD

Botox Under the Eye works well for some patients

+2

Botox underneath the eye is an off label use of Botox, I use it often for patients who get the under eye "scrunch."  Their muscle is active there and 1-2 units of Botox can help smooth it out.  The low units don't last long, but they are effective.  I tell my patients it might be harder to squint and to make sure to wear sunglasses.  My patients are happy with this treatment. 

Rebecca Baxt, MD
Paramus Dermatologist

Botox under eyes

+2

Sometimes botox is used in the lower eyelid for "orbicularis hypertrophy". This is when the muscles around the lower eyelid is strong and forms a ridge under the eyelid. For wrinkles that are caused when you smile, what is happening is that your cheeks are raising and "crinkling" the skin under the eyelid. Botox would only work by paralyzing the cheeks, thus not allowing your to raise the cheeks. An option that I think is not too good. This is a more difficult problem to treat. Some people would use fillers, a lower lid blepharoplasty as some options. I don't think botox would be too helpful for this. Jerry Popham M.D in Denver in an excellent injector and oculoplastic surgeon in Denver. He would help to answer your question by seeing you. 

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Yes, Botox injections under eyes is possible

+2

Sue,

You can indeed put small amounts of Botox under the eyelid to smooth the lower lid.  Seek out a plastic surgeon or dermatologist who is skilled in this application. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Botox can be injected under the eyes

+2

I do Botox injections under the eyes fairly routinely. The thing is that it must be used cautiously, and in small amounts only so that the lower eyelid function is not impaired.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Yes, but VERY cautiously.

+2

To Sueanddad,

Hi!  I have injected tiny amounts (2-3 units) of Botox into the lower eyelids with improvement.  But it is easy to get a deformity here.  So if your doctors are not comfortable trying this, they have good reason.

Erbium laser resurfacing of the lower lids can help.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Under eye-great place for very small quantities of BOTOX

+2

Generally, when a doctor tells you that something can't be done, it means that it has not been successful in their hands. My father liked to say: "If the butcher tells you the meat's bad, you should listen."

The key with under eye Botox treatment is finding a clinician who is comfortable and experienced with this type of treatment. Don't make your doctor do a treatment they have told you they don't do well.

The lower eyelid orbicularis muscle makes those crinkling lines. This muscle is also responsible for holding the lower eyelid against the eye. The key is very small quantities of Botox to relax the muscle but not over weaken it, which causes sagging of the lid margin (not a good thing).

Also, the orbicularis muscle helps support the top of the cheek and in certain individuals prone to lower eyelid bags, this weakening can worsen the bag-also not a good thing.

For many individuals, they are better off having the lower eyelid filled with Restylane to redistribute the lower eyelid wrinkles.