Can Botox Trigger Trigeminal Neurolgia?

I have had TN to the send and third branch of the nerve, but have thankfully been pain free for 18 months. I would like Botox around the eye and cheek area but am afraid it may trigger the TN? I have heard Botox can help TN but as I would be having it done by a cosmetic surgeon around the eye and cheeck could it have the opposite effect?

Will Botox trigger trigeminal neuralgia?

+1

It shouldn't, but unfortunately in medicine there are no guarantees (be wary if any doctor guarantees any result, even a particular response to a medication such as aspirin).  Based on the pharmacology of Botox, I would not expect it from this drug, but the simple act of injecting may be a trigger.

Paoli Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neuralgia and Botox

+1

Treating the musculature around your eyes with cosmetic Botox shouldn't cause any issues and/or flare up with trigeminal neuralgia. If you haven't met with a reputable and well-trained and informed provider to weigh all of your options, that's a good place to start.

Botox for trigeminal neuralgia

+1

While I don't have any personal experience using Botox to treat TN, there are several articles suggesting that it is beneficial. For that reason I think it is unlikely that cosmetic Botox would make it worse.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.