Can Botox Cure Migraines and Chronic Headaches?

I have been having these headaches for 45 years and they are getting worse as I get older. I am 61 years old and a female. I wake up with headaches everyday and very rarely do I get rid of them. Sometimes it's so severe that it affects my vision and I get nausea. I have a lot of stiffness/stress in muscles in back of neck and jaw line. Can Botox get rid of this?

Botox for treating Migranes

+2

Treatment of migranes is a very individualized process.  The first step is to see a qualified plastic and reconstructive surgeon that can understand and guide you through the multiple surgical and nonsurgical options.  The patient must present with an active migrane.  Only migranes that are triggered by compression of peripheral nerves can be treated with botox, luckily at least in my practice this includes the majority.  A plastic surgeon with craniofacial experience can easily identify the possible locations of triggering and a diagnosis is made by stimulating and relaxing the muscles manually with special massage techniques or injecting a small amount of lidocaine near the triggering nerve.   If the migrane is treated, the diagnosis is made and options are reviewed.  The next step is to give the patient a trial of local muscular relaxation with botox administration which must not only significantly chemodenervate the local muscles, but also must be balanced through the face so as not to create an aesthetic deformity.  depending on level of relief, duration of relief and patient preferences, most patients opt for a permanent treatment without recurring cost.  The identified trigger nerve is decompressed in a quick in office surgical procedure and a small amount of fat is placed around the nerveto cushion and protect it from further irritation.   Patient staisfaction is very high with this protocol.  Remember there are many practitioners that will be willing to inject Botox for migranes who do not have the anatomical, physiological or surgical knowledge and experience to produce a result.  I strongly recommend seeing a plastic and reconstructive surgeon who can guide you.

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Botox improves migraines and tension headaches

+2

Botox can have a tremendous therapeutic effect on the symptoms you describe by precisely relaxing certain facial muscles. You may also benefit from treatment of specific scalp and neck muscles.  Botox is now FDA-approved as a treatment for migraines.

Daniel Levy, MD
Bellevue Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox Helps with Migraines and Headaches

+1

Yes, studies have shown that Botox in a select group of migraine and tension headache suffers can help. Some scientists believe that Botox works to help headaches by blocking specific signals that carries the pain message to the brain. The great part is that Botox has fewer side effects that many of the headaches medications people frequently take.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox may help for headaches

+1

Botox has the possibility of being tremendously helpful in treating headaches.  However, other causes must first be ruled out.  Despite its effectiveness in treating the symptoms, it is not a long term cure.  The effects last 3-4 months before wearing off.  Botox then needs to be re-injected.  However, many people have decided that being injected 4 times a year is much better than dealing with daily headaches--even if insurance does not pay for the treatments!

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and treatment of migraines

+1

It is possible that Botox may keep them away, until the Botox effect vanishes in several months and the treatment can be repeated. Search out a neurologist who has used this for this purpose. Some can isolate the trigger areas and create a very effective headache remedy.Some patients do not receive relief, so as in many medical procedures, it may not be for 100% of people.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox might help migraines and chronic headaches

+1

Botox may help for this problem. A www.Pubmed.gov search for Botox and headache brings up 213 articles. A trial may be worthwhile.

Botox for headaches is an off label use and will likely not be covered by insurance.

A neuroogist is a good place to start for a complete headache work-up. Or you primary care doc may know a good injector who could do a trial.

You may need Botox neuromodulator your neck, jawline, and your frontal area.

Good luck!

Keith Denkler, MD
Marin Plastic Surgeon

Can Botox Cure Migraine and Chronic Headaches

+1

No.

It cannot cure it. In certain cases it might reduce the intensity and frequency of these headaches. The most important thing is diagnosing the etiology of these headaches. Once you have someone figure that out, proper medication and treatment will help a lot.

Botox might help but you cannot rely on that completely.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon