Will Botox Treatment Also Get Rid of Symptoms Associated with Migraines Such As Dizziness and Imbalance?

Botox for migraine symptoms

+1

I have used botox to treat cosmetic wrinkles, but also migraines and headaches in patients. I have had many patients have reduced frequency and severity of migraines, as well as the associated symptoms that you describe. That said, some people respond well, while others have minimal change with their migraines, so the results are a bit unpredictable as far as migraine symptoms go (as opposed to cosmetic botox which has very very consistent results).

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for migraine and neurologic symptoms

+1

You should check with a neurologist who is experienced at giving Botox injections for migraines. I do not have the expertise, nor knowledge, to address whether the symptoms you mentioned would be treated but if the Botox is able to ward off the migraines, and if the dizziness and imbalance only occur during migraines for you, then one would imagine you could have relief of those symptoms until the next migraine occurred.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox and Migraines

+1

Neurologists are typically the doctors to treat migraine headaches and they are the ones that often perform Botox injections for migraines when indicated.  I perform Botox injections for cosmetic purposes and sometimes patients comment that the intensity and frequency of their migraine headaches improved after treatment and that is a nice benefit but not the real reason why we were doing Botox in the first place.  Dizziness and imbalance are often problems associated with the inner ear and therefore I would not expect any improvement with Botox and would recommend you consult with your Neurologist about that.

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Botox treatments and headache

+1

Botox has recently been approved for the treatment of migraine headaches.  This is generally administered by a neurologist who specializes in headaches.  The pattern of injection is very different and based on your headache symptoms.  I have had a few patients with frontal headaches who felt they benefitted from Botox in their forehead and brow areas, but this was given for cosmetic purposes, not to treat the headache.  As far as dizziness and imbalance, again a headache specialist is best trained to evaluate and treat you for this, and Botox may figure in to that treatment, but the pattern would likely be very different than for a cosmetic injection.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon