Can Botox Treat Facial Sweating?

I understand Botox can be effective in treating hyperhidrosis for underarms and palms. But can it be injected to treat facial sweating? My entire face gets drenched in sweats even when I'm sitting still, maybe due to medication I'm taking. It's really embarrassing and starting to affect my social life... Please give advise. Thank you!

Hyperhydrosis of your face.

+1
Firstly, the hyperhydrosis you describe that is limited to your face should be evaluated by your medical doctor to be sure your body is not harboring toxins such as pesticides or the sweating is the result of an underlying disease. Sweating at night or without exercise could be signs of malignancy, hypertension, thyroid disease, or even heart ischemia. Please get a full physical exam first by your medical doctor.
If your health is good, then hyperhydrosis for cosmetic reasons on the face could be addressed with botox in the forehead. A possible microinjection of botox all over the face using a new fine needle microdelivery device called Aquagold fine touch might also be effective. This would be an off-label use of botox and might diminish sweating.
This treatment is currently being studied and has not been proven.
Please don't give up, I think a solution can be found.

New Canaan Dermatologist

Botox for Facial Sweating

+1

There have been studies that show that Botox can help with hyperhidrosis (or excessive sweating) of the face.  I would make sure you see a board-certified dermatologist for this so that one can avoid asymmetries that can happen when inappropriate techniques and dilutions are applied.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Can Botox Treat Facial Sweating?

+1

Yes, I have used Botox injected across the nose to decrease excessive nasal sweating. 

Can Botox treat facial sweating

+1

You can use Botox to treat facial sweating, hyperhidrosis, just like you can for the underarms. Most areas of the face only have a few points of hyperhidrosis so only these areas should be treated. A diluted concentration of Botox is used and it's placed very superficially, as compared to treatments for wrinkles and lines which go into the muscle. Seek a very experienced Botox injector for this treatment because if you look on RealSelf even you will see some less than happy results from patients treated by untrained professionals who affected the muscles instead of just the sweat glands.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Sweating of all areas can be treated with Botox

+1

Botox can be used to treat facial hyperhidrosis. The Botox must be injected superficially so as to not affect the muscles if expression. This is done with multiple small injections with dilute Botox. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox for facial hyperhidrosis is very effective

+1

Botox is very effective in treating facial hyperhidrosis and I use it routinely for patients with hyperhidrosis of the face, scalp and neck.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Can Botox Treat Facial Sweating?

+1

1. Yes intra dermal injections (with in the layers of the skin) are very effective.

2. The longevity of the treatment is between 4-6 months sometimes longer.

3. Accidental injections deeper than the skin can affect the function of the facial nerve and asymmetric facial movements.

4. Find a plastic surgeon who is familiar with the procedure to avoid complications.

5. Dysport is my preferred choice.

David Evdokimow, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Facial sweating treated with Botox

+1

Dear mm1425k, Botox is very effective in treating excessive sweating of the face & scalp. It has to be repeated every 6 months , or so. The injections are done in the office with no need for anaesthesia. Make sure that your dermatologist/plastic surgeon is familiar with this particular usage for Botox , to guarantee the best outcome & avoid side effects

Khaled El-Hoshy, MD
Detroit Dermatologic Surgeon

Intradermal Botox to treat the T-zone

+1

Intradermal Botox can be quite effective at reducing oiliness in the T-zone and the hairline.  However if your excessive sweating is due to medications, it may be useful to speak to your physician about medication alternatives.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD