Can Botox Be Used to Treat Assymetry in Upper Lips?

I had thin lips which I've recently had subtly plumped with juvaderm. I love the effect. It's not too much and it's smooth, no lumps. The only thing is that one side of upper lip lifts more than the other. I was already uneven to behind with but they were so thin, it wasn't noticeable. But now it is. It has been 2 wks since injection,all swelling is down. Can a tiny bit of botox on the weaker upper lip make it even up with the other side? I don't want to make it worse or unable to smile properly

Botox for Upper Lips

+1

Botox works for muscle movement so if you put Botox in the lip area then it most likely will not move (i.e. it will be hard to smile or move the mouth area).  The better idea is to either dissolve the one side that is higher or put in more Juvederm to the side that needs “lifting.”

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for lip asymmetry

+1

Hello Natural2011 the answer is potentially yes. We use Botox in the upper lip for wrinkles commonly and one side effect is a slight upturn of the vermillion border of the lip. It is certainly worth a try.

Christine Brown, MD
Dallas Dermatologic Surgeon

Dr. Hvistendahl-Plastic Surgery Specialists

+1

Yes, but you have to be careful with Botox around the mouth in general. Make sure the lift on one side of your lip is not secondary to slightly more filler on that side. If your lips were symmetric prior to the injection (even if they were small), chances are your result is due to uneven volume of filler, not an anatomic or dynamic problem.

Yngvar A. Hvistendahl, MD

Botox to correct assymetry

+1

Yes Botox can be used to correct assymetries on the upper lip if they are not too pronounced

you will be able to get some results.

Jhonny Salomon, MD

Glad you're happy with the lip filler

+1

while it's possible to inject a small quantity of botox into the upper lip, it's more likely that the imbalance has more to do with the uneven size of the lips...a situation that botox is unlikely to improve...maybe more filler is the answer...need to show your doctor and discuss the options with him or her

Ken Landow, MD

Asymmetry in smile is hard to correct, wouldn't do Botox

+1

Many people have asymmetry when the smile which is more noticeable after having their lips enhanced.  Outside of injecting the filler to correct small differences, there is not much to do.  Botox might make the matter much worse.  Your smile makes you unique and I would try to change it that much.  Steve Weiner, MD Facial Plastics, Destin, FL.

Steven F. Weiner, MD