Is Botox Tested on Animals?

curious to know how the test botox before letting humans get it

FDA process

+1

Yes during the FDA process, testing on animals (in the case of Botox reportedly mice). It is then tried on volunteers before it is opened up for study/approval by the FDA and then finally released to the public.

Botox and animals testing

+1

Every single drug on the American market has passed through and was approved by the FDA. As part of the process, it would have to first pass studies on animals, then pass studies on volunteers BEFORE it would be submitted for study / approval by the FDA and allowed on the market.

Botox potency testing

+1

Yes to some degree the effectiveness of the strength is tested on mice to determine the potency of the dose. When the second batch of commercial Botox was prepared, they found that the potency was actually stronger than the intial batch by doing these tests on mice to find out the amount it took to weaken the lower extremity muscles

Presently Yes

+1

I asked my mother who worked in Dr. Schantz's lab at Fort Detrick, where Botulinum toxin was developed, this question. She confirmed that they used mice in their experimentation in 1944. ( Unlike the Japanese who were using human prisoners for their testing.)

Allergan still employs what is called the Lethal Dose 50 percent (LD50) to assess the potency of Botox. This is performed on mice. There has been a concerted effort on the part of the Humane Society to have Allergan find another means of ensuring the safety of its product.

There was a shareholder meeting last month in which this issue was to be voted upon, but as far as I know it did not pass.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist