How Can I Get Rid of Botox Side Effects?

An esthetician/nurse put Botox around my mouth and chin apparently to correct jowls and soften lines. I can no longer smile wide, see my bottom teeth or pronounce many words. Is there anything I can do to make negative effects of Botox go away soon?

Improving Results with Botox Cosmetic

+2

Botox cosmetic is a safe treatment if performed correctly. A board certified plastic surgeon is ideal for Botox treatments because of our knowledge of the deep anatomy of the face. Injection into areas around the mouth may produce unwanted palliation of normal smile mechanisms. In this particular case, the only thing to expedite the recovery phase is to exercise your smile and wait 3 to 4 months.

Poor Botox results

+2

Wendean -

Sorry to hear about your bad Botox outcome. Typically, Botox will not correct jowls. Botox works by temporarily paralyzing the muscles it is injected into. If Botox was injected into the muscles that coordinate your smile and speech then it will paralyze those muscles.

The good news is Botox is temporary and has likely worn off by the time you've read this message.

In our San Francisco area practice only board certified plastic surgeons perform injections of Botox or facial fillers. Be sure you're careful about who performs your injections in the future. Always seek a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Be Very Careful About Who You Let Inject Botox

+2

Botox is a wonderful treatment when in the right hands. However, you can have disastrous, although temporary, problems if you are not injected properly. It is my feeling that Botox should never be injected around the mouth. The effect of Botox is to paralyze muscles. This effect is advantageous in the forehead and around the eyes since these muscles cause wrinkles when contracted and do not contribute significantly to facial function. However, even if you are not injected properly in these areas, you can have problems. The muscles in the cheeks and around the mouth have important functions such as talking and eating. Unfortunately, you have found this out the hard way. Also, unfortunately, there is no way to remove the Botox now that it has been injected. On the bright side, Botox is always temporary. However, you may have a few months ahead of you that are difficult. One thing to keep in mind is that only surgeons see these muscles from the inside out on a daily basis and have an intimate understanding of their functions. In the future, I would highly recommend going to a surgeon for your injections.

I hope this is helpful.

David Shafer, MD
Shafer Plastic Surgery
New York City
www.DoctorShafer.com

David Shafer, MD

Botox Out of Bounds - Grin (or not!) And Bear It

+2

Botox is without question a wonderful product addition to the war on aging. However, it is not the cure for every sign of facial aging. While Botox certainly has a place in the treatment of unwanted wrinkle lines that result from normal or over-active muscles of facial expression, there are some places where Botox has no place.

Jowls are caused by sagging of facial skin, and have nothing to do with muscle hyperactivity. Therefore, it is completely backwards to treat the jowl area with Botox, and a face lift is the proper procedure to treat this condition. Although many patients have an overactive mentalis muscle that causes unwanted puckering, dimpling, or creases around the chin area, care must be exercised in injecting Botox in the chin area, for fear of distorting the function and appearance of the lower lip area, which may interfere with speech, smiling, oral continence, and normal appearance at rest. It is much better to "under-treat" and to titrate (adjust) up to the proper dose by administering small incremental doses of Botox until the desired relaxation is accomplished, avoiding the potential for unwanted paralysis.

That's the bad news about Botox outside the normal boundary of use. The good news is that these effects eventually dissipate as the effect of the Botox begins to wear off. Although this may take a couple of months, and there is no way of accelerating the process, your appearance should revert to normal. Until then, you'll have to grin (or not) and bear it.

Keep Botox in it's proper place. It is not a "facelift in a bottle".

Athleo Louis Cambre, MD

Botox Side Effects

+1

Botox common side effects are bruising and swelling.  Bruising will go away on its own. Once botox takes effect on the muscle you cannot "massage" out the effects. If only a small amount has been injected in the area, the effect is unlikely to last 4 months.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wait it out

+1

There is nothing that will really reverse or expedite the metabolism of Botox once it is injected.

Sorry to say, you will have to wait it out. Doing anything else could make it worse.

The effects you dont like will go away in a couple of months

+1

Unfortunatley it sounds like Botox may have been used for a problem that Botox isnt meant to treat. Botox administration around the mouth has to be done very judiciosly, and with a sopecific goal in mind.

Botox cant make jowls go away. Botox used in the proper amount can in some instances relax some of the vertical upper lip lines, or if patients have alot of dimpling in the skin over the chin(hyperactive mentalis muscle) it may be used there conservatively.

I would give follow up to the injector you used so he/she may see the results and in the future consider a board certified provider(plastic surgeon, dermatologist, or facila plastic surgeon).

John E. Gross, MD

Botox is not for jowls

+1

there is no remedy for botox injected poorly. the good news is that it will wear off. as the other drs have said, you are less likely to have problems if you have the injections done by a board certified plastic surgeon or similar trained specialist.

david berman md
plastic surgeon
northern va

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

See an Experienced Cosmetic Surgeon Next Time

+1

Hi Wendean,

Sorry that you are suffering the side effects of poorly placed Botox. Your experience again emphasizes the point that Botox injections are a medical procedure that should be performed by a cosmetically trained physician (facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, dermatologist, or oculoplastic surgeon) in a medical office.

In particular the injection of Botox into the lower facial muscles should be performed by an expert with actual knowledge of the muscles and their function or else you run the risk of complications like you are experiencing. Unfortunately time is the only thing that will improve the effects of the Botox.

Like everything else in facial plastic surgery, next time choose your physician most carefully neighbor. I hope that the esthetician/nurse used a very small dose of Botox and that your problems resolve quickly. Good luck.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Botox gone bad!

+1

Botox is an excellent product if used properly. Usually Botox is administered by a well trained physician. Please remember that an aesthetician is legally not allowed to give you an injection of Botox. Nurses are allowed to give injections, but proper training and experience is required to do the procedure properly and effectively.

Botox injections around the mouth are very tricky and should not be taken lightly. In addition to the problems you described, drooling can also occur. Another tricky area is treating around the eyes. Poor technique can lead to drooping of the upper eyelid.

Based on your description, it appears that you may have received the wrong dose of Botox in the wrong areas. When treating wrinkles around the mouth, very small amounts should be used in proper areas, especially in the lower lip and chin.

I have seen patients with complaints similar to yours, and usually it is because they were treated by a poorly trained individual. As stated above, I have even seen a patient who had developed drooling following Botox injections in the lower lip and chin.

Unfortunately, at this point you will have to wait until the effect of Botox wears off. This can take up to three months or more. So be patient.

The best advise I can give you is to see a well trained and experienced physician for your next treatment.

Always remember that a cosmetic procedure is a service, not a product. With a product, once you know the model number, you can shop around for price. However, with a service, your result can be very variable depending on the person providing the service (even though the service carries the same name).

It is regretful that you had a bad experience. Hopefully you will recover quickly and use this as a learning experience before undergoing your next procedure.

A. Peter Salas, MD