Should I Be Concerned That Botox Could Cause Eyebrow Drooping?

I want to use botox injection to treat the very shallow horizontal forehead lines and the very deep frown lines between my eyebrows. I've heard that forehead lines injection run a bigger risk of eyelid drooping. Should I just treat the deep frown lines between my eyebrows to avoid eyelid drooping?

Go ahead and have Botox in the glabella and forehead just go to an experienced MD

+2

Everything has risks, including Botox injections to the forehead.  However, you can mimimize these risks by going to an MD that has experience using Botox in the forehead.  I've used Botox to soften lines and wrinkles of the face and forehead for over 20 years and there are ways to inject the Botox so it has very little chance of dropping the eyebrows.  Just remember that "you get what you pay for" and if you shop around for a cheap price on your Botox, you may indeed wind up spending less and getting a dropped eyebrow(s).

Botox for frown lines and forehead lines

+1

you may indeed benefit from the glabellar lines being treated betweent the eyebrows but it may be that the horizontal lines, once treated, would prevent the lift your forehead needs to prevent your upper eyelids from falling down naturally. You would need to be examined to determine your candidacy for horizontal forehead line treatment with Btoox.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Go to an experienced injector and you should be fine

+1

As long as you go to an experienced Botox injector, they will know where to place the botox and how to make sure you do not get eyelid brow drooping.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Misplaced Botox can cause drooping.

+1

Eyebrow drooping is a possibility when Botox is misplaced (i.e. too much in the wrong areas), that is why it is so important to trust your doctor.

When you are ready to undergo any esthetic procedure, it is best to have a consultation with a board certified cosmetic doctor or dermatologist who you trust. They will give you the honest answers for your unique situation (your starting point, your objectives and your budget).

At the Victoria Park Medispa, we take off the consultation fee from any appointment booked, therefore reducing a client’s risk of having a treatment performed without taking the time to think about what they really want. Any esthetic tool needs to be in the right hands, to achieve the best possible results.

Steven Bernstein, MD
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox

+1

Forehead injections usually can effect eyebrow drooping more than eyelid drooping.  Injections higher on the forehead with less units can help wrinkles and minimize the drooping of the brow.  The lighter touch however may improve the wrinkles but not completely remove them.  I hope this info helps.

Ronald H. Stefani Jr, MD

Botox and risk of eyelid drooping

+1

Thank you for your question. Many patients have heard about the risks of eyelid drooping with Botox treatment and would like to understand more about that. It is prudent both to consider and to be concerned about the potential risks of any treatment. Precisely because there are risks, I recommend that patients only consider receiving Botox treatments from well-trained professionals. Because the forehead treatment area can be close to the upper eyelids, some of the Botox can diffuse through the tissues to affect the muscles that act to raise your eyelid. When performed by a trained physician with experience, that risk is very low. When eyelid drooping does occur, it is temporary. Because the upper eyelid muscle receives only a fraction of the total Botox dose (only the amount that diffused), the eyelid drooping typically resolves in less than a few weeks. I sometimes suggest to patients who are considering a first treatment with Botox to choose just one area. You should see an experienced physician for a consultation. In your case, you might choose to try just the area between your eyebrows. If you are satisfied and would like to try another area, perhaps your experience with your first treatment will provide you with more comfort and confidence about taking that step - both in terms of the Botox and your physician. Good luck.

James M. Pearson, MD

Botox great for forehead

+1

Get it done! YES that is a side effect but make sure you Go to a professional! Make sure it is either plastics or Derm--we have had much training and experience.

Tracy Kuykendall, MD
Tulsa Dermatologist

How to Avoid Eyelid Droop with Botox?

+1

Hi MzShizuka.  To avoid drooping you should find an experienced injector.  The rate of ptosis (eyelid or eyebrow droop) is extremely low for an experienced Botox injector.  

Do your homework now and choose someone carefully and you will likely avoid the ptosis issue.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Can Improper Botox Treatment Cause Eyebrow Drooping?

+1

Botox relaxes and weakens the muscles within which it is placed. The forehead muscles (FRONTALIS) lift the brows and in so doing cause the horizontal lines across the forehead. Depending on the depth of the lines and the natural sagginess of the brows care must be used in the application of Botox to the forehead to weaken the lined formation WITHOUT dropping the brows.

This is one of the reasons why you should have your Botox done by a Plastic surgeon / Dermatologist rather than a salon / spa injector. A huge number of the saggy brow, weird frozen faces of "Bad Botox" are related to WHO did the Botox.

To fully understand your options read the link below.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Drooping Eyelids after Botox

+1

While the risk of drooping eyelids after Botox to the forehead is real, this complication is very, very rare when the procedure is done by an experienced physician.