What is the Botox Shelf Life?

How long is the shelf life of a Botox vial of 500 units?

Think you need to reformulate your question...since there's no 500 u vial of botox cosmetic...

+2

Botox cosmetic is packaged in 50 and 100 unit vials with 100 and 200 unit vials of Botox (not cosmetic)...the shelf-life of the properly material stored and unmixed is about 2 years according to Allergan...but probably much longer is still okay...lots of room for safety...once reconstituted the company says at least 4 hours but definitely more...in the order of weeks or longer...interesting question...why do you ask?

Botox Cosmetic comes in 100 unit vials

+2

I am not sure why this is being asked, but since Botox is the ONLY FDA approved botulinum toxin in the US at this time, I'd make sure that is what you are getting.

There is no 500 unit vial.

Real Botox lasts for several days after reconstitution.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Botox Cosmetic

+2

Botox Cosmetic comes in a vial of 100 units. It is freeze-dried and has to be reconstituted with normal saline. Allergan recommendations are to use it within 4 hours of reconstitution, but over the years, it has been shown to be effective for up to 6 weeks after reconstitution.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

If not re-constituted, approx 2 years.

+2

If the Botox has not yet been diluted with saline, the shelf life is approx 2 years. There should be an expiration date on the packaging. If it has been re-constituted, it can be used up to 2 weeks (possibly longer) without losing potency. A 500 unit vial of Botox is not available in the US and I would question whether such a 500 unit vial is the genuine product.

Good luck and be safe.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

There is no 500 unit vial of Botox Cosmetic

+2

Apeeling One,

There is no 500 unit vial of Botox Cosmetic in this country. Botox Cosmetic comes in 100 units and 50 units. Your last question was about reconstituting Botox. I am concerned that you are purchasing non-FDA approved Botox over the internet or from some other source and trying to figure out how to use it. This can be very dangerous. Please go to a trained medical professional for your Botox.

David Shafer, MD

Is it diluted yet?

+2

A study looked at Botox which was freshly mixed and Botox which was mixed and then stored in a refrigerator and freezer at the University of Pittsburgh published in Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery August 2008. The study found no difference between the duration of effects. The company guideline (Allergan) is to use the product within 4 hours of reconstitution. Undiluted botox has a much longer shelf life. Presumably by shelf you mean stored in a cold temperature controlled environment. Most Botox in the States is from Allergan and comes in 100 unit bottles.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox Shelf Life

+1

If the Botox has not yet been diluted with saline, the shelf life is approx 2 years. Allergan, recommends Botox to be used within 4 hours of reconstitution. It should not be kept for more than a day or so, but some injectors may keep up to 2 weeks if they do not inject frequently.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Botox shelf life at the doctor's office

+1

Botox does not have a 500 unit vial that we know of. We have always purchased 100 unit vials.

Botox has an expiration date on it if is has not been mixed with saline. If it has been mixed with saline, we have used it up to several weeks after mixing and it still works fine. We are not sure exactly how long after mixing it would take before losing effectiveness.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Allergan Botox comes in a vial of 100 units

+1
Allergan Botox comes in a vial of 100 units. I am not familiar with the one you are quoting. Once it is diluted, most physicians feel that it keeps well for two weeks or even more in the refrigerator (it is frozen while stored prior to mixing). Most physicians who perform excellent Botox injections never have that concern as the bottle doesn’t last more than a few days in their practice. The volume of patients undergoing the treatment means that the office needs to open a new vial very frequently.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox shelf life

+1

I wanted to clarify that Botox cosmetic comes in either 50 or 100 units.

If kept cold, each vial has an expiration date printed on the vial.

Once prepared the manufacturer's instructions state that the Botox is good for 4 hours.

However, in clinical practice , many studies have shown that the Botox is active for at least two weeks if kept cold.

In most busy practices it would be unusual that a vial would not be used the day it was opened and certainly withon the next office day.