Is Botox Safe To Use for Treatment of Frown Line If I've Had Bells Palsy?

I am 32 year old and I had a bell’s palsy around 15 years ago and still I have left with a few residual drooping in my left eye and eyebrow especially in cold weather. I want to have botox for cosmetic purpose in order to treatment my frown line, I want to know is botox injection risky for my face or not? Could it cause my problem to come back again? Is there another treatment for it?

Botox in person with history of Bell's Palsy

+1

Having Bell's Palsy is not a contraindication to having Botox. In fact, Botox is commonly used in patients with Bell's palsy to treat the unaffected side to balance out the face.

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox can be used to balance facial muscles in Bell's Palsy

+1

There is no indication that Botox can cuse Bell's palsy to come back. In fact, it is used by neurologists, and other specialists to weaken other muscles to balance the facial asymmetry.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox after Bell's Palsy safe if used judiciously

+1

Botox can be used to correct or improve asymmetries after Bell's palsy, usually on the contralateral side. Residual weakness after Bell's palsy may be temporarily worsened by Botox, but spasm or synkinesis ( mass movements) can be improved with carefully placed injections. This has been a benefit to many patients.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Is Botox Safe To Use for Treatment of Frown Line If I've Had Bells Palsy?  Botox injections after Bells Palsy does, IMHO make you more prone to unwanted drooping of the eyebrows and eyelids, especially if there is residual muscle weakness.  Talk this over with the MD doing the Botox and go slow.

BOTOX after Bell's Palsy

+1

Bell's palsy is a very scary process to go through so we understand why you would be hesitant to undergo any additional facial treatments.  The truth is BOTOX is commonly used to correct permanent asymmetries and will not trigger a recurrence.  Good luck!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Facial Balancing after Bell's Palsy

+1

Botox works well for facial balancing after the weakness causes by Bell's Palsy - a nerve weakness which usually weakens the facial muscles on one side of the face. What the injector is attemptingto do is to selectively weaken the 'normal" strong muscles on the unaffected side of the face, which cause distortion on the weakened side of the face. Careful observation and knowledge of the action of all the facial muscles is necessary to achieve this type of Botox facial balancing. I have performed a one-sided brow lift for a patient whose brow dropped after Bell's palsy, and one-sided facelift for a patient whose facial nerve was injured after her ear tumor was removed.

Edward Szachowicz, MD, PhD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox absolutely safe for Bell's Palsy

+1

Botox is absolutely safe to use in patients who have had Bell's Palsy.  I often use Botox to correct asymmetries in patients who have had Bell's Palsy and as a result have persistent facial asymmetries.   It can make a major difference in their appearance.

Lori Stetler, MD
Dallas Dermatologic Surgeon

You can use Botox afters Bell's Palsy

+1

Botox can be used to treat frown lines whether or not you've previously had Bell's Palsy.  THe amount of Botox used can be reduced on the previously affected side if it is still weaker.  All foreheads require individualization of treatment.  Start conservatively.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Botox treatment for Bells Palsy

+1

It is safe to use in Bells  Palsy, but the dose of Botox would probably best be reduced for the first attempt.  It's not know to trigger Bells Palsy.

J. Gregory Kjar, M.D.
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Botox can be safely used following Bell Palsy

+1

Botox can be safely used following Bell Palsy. Not only can Botox be used to eliminate wrinkles in some who has had Bell Palsy but in those people who never fully recover from the palsy, Botox can be used on the other (normal) side to provide symmetry with the weaker side of the face. The way that Botulinum toxin works and the mechanism of Bell Palsy are totally different and botulinum toxin will not cause Bell Palsy to recur.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon