Is 2 Weeks Worth of Botox Results Normal?

I have had Botox injections for my frown lines and the result only lasted 2 weeks. Is this normal? Why did I not have a longer-lasting result? This has happened more than once. I love the result for that short time but want to know why I cannot achieve a longer result.

Botox should last longer than 2 weeks

+1

Botox injections for the frown lines should last 3 to 4 months.  You probably require a higher dose.  Please visit a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to ensure the best possible results.

Toronto Dermatologist

Two weeks should be the BEGINNING of the Botox result.

+1

Hi. Of course, I cannot be sure what's wrong. But if you repeatedly like the result, and it only lasts a couple of weeks, the most common cause is that your doctor is not using enough Botox. You must be getting very few units.

Botox results should last a good 4 months or more, and it is dose dependent. For the vertical frown lines between your eyebrows, I typically use 25 units, and more in men (bigger muscles).

Try another board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Botox Longevity

+1

Dear Amy WB, Botox should last 3 to 4 months. It is dose dependent- the more botox the more muscle weakness and the longer it lasts. Botox's maximum effect is around 2 weeks and then the weakness of the muscles whould be present for 3 to 4 months,

You may be resistant to Botox which is rare. You need to check on the dose, make sure that it is BOTOX Cosmetic and that the areas that are being injected are correct- ie the placement is just as important as the dose.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

It's Not You

+1

The potency of the Botox and how much is injected determines the length of the result. Many practitioners of Botox will freeze the vial if the entire vial isn't used. The problem with this is that the toxin loses it's potency. The second issue is the amount of Botox, or the number of units that are are being injected.

For between the eyes, the glabellar region, I use 25 units. I just saw a patient back for her second treatment but she was still paralyzed-AFTER 5 MONTH! So 2 weeks is your injectors issue and not you. See someone else and make sure you know how many units you're getting.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Maybe it's you, not the Botox

+1

While in most people Botox should last 3-4 months, there is a small subset in which the effect is much shorter. Your body may be finding ways to get around the temporary paralysis of the muscle quicker than the norm.

You mention that this is not the first time this is happened. If you have had the same result with different injectors, then the you probably fall into that group mentioned above. If you have been using the same injector each time, I would switch injectors.

Maybe the Botox is "old". (Although in a recent study, Botox was injected on each side of the subject's face. On one side the Botox was mixed fresh and on the other side the Botox had been mixed two weeks before and refrigerated. In the opinion of the blinded physician and the subject, there was not difference in the sides).

Maybe, you were being under-treated. The placement was effective but not enough units were being injected. Or maybe the placement was not quite where it should be; close enough to give you a result but not a long-lasting one.

So, in sum, if this has happened, no matter where you go, you will just have to live with a short term benefit or wait for another botox to come out. If you are using the same injector: switch and try someone else.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Heck no!

+1

Botox is rated to last for 6 months.  I have seen results lasting between 4 and 7 months.  Two weeks is not at all normal.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Botox effect should last 4 to 6 months

+1

Dear Amy

The only reason you BOTOX you last for 2 weeks would be inadequate dose. Someone is pulling your leg regarding the treatment they are providing for you.

This is a good time to review what makes a legitimate BOTOX injector.

First, make sure that you are being treatment by a licensed physician. If you are not treatment by the doctor, the doctor should have examined you at the time of your treatment and the person doing the treatment should be a physician assistant or a registered nurse. A medical assistant or aesthetician should not be doing your treatment. Direct supervision by a doctor mean the doctor saw you and is immediately available in the office. Personal I believe that it is best for the doctor to do the treatment. If you are being treated by a nurse and there is no doctor around, this is a bogus situation.

How does the practice market the treatment. Offices that refer to treatment by the area or by syringe and don't tell you how many units of BOTOX you are getting can and probably are cheating you on how much BOTOX is in solution. If you are getting an unbelievable price (In Los Angeles I've seen BOTOX priced at $5 per unit) it is likely that you are not really getting a full unit of BOTOX. Some offices think that you will never notice the difference. Believe me, there is a huge treatment difference between 5 units of BOTOX and 25 units of BOTOX. Legitimate practices will tell you exactly how many units you are being treated with.

Bottom line, there are so many great office that do a fantastic job with this wonderful product, that you should have no problem finding a legitimate injector even if you have to pay a little more money.

Botox Lasting Only Two Weeks

+1

Hi Amy,

Botox would not be the number one facial cosmetic treatment if results lasting only 2 weeks was the norm. Either not enough Botox is being used, or it is not being injected into the muscles properly.

I hope that you are not spending much money. Sometimes "you get what you pay for".

See your injecting physician for a higher dose, or seek out a new physician injector.

Be well and see you in two weeks.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

How many units are you getting?

+1

Hello

Find out exactly how many units you are getting. Botox results are dose dependent and should last a lot more than 2 weeks. Some practices advertise Botox "by the area" . That means that you pay a certain price for "an area" but you don't know how much Botox you got. It also means that the same amount of Botox is being placed in a 240 pound man as a 120 pound woman.

In our Santa Rosa Botox practice the glabellar area is treated individually and the number of units varies from about 18 units to 28 units. Obviously, the patient getting 28 units is paying a lot more for the same "area" but they would not get a result with only 18 units.

If you are getting a result, but it disappears quickly, it sounds like you need more Botox injected. Botox priced by the unit is more consistent and more individualized than a cheaper "by the area" price.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon