What is Better Botox or Restylane? (photo)

around mouth and eyes

Botox and dermal fillers

+2

You are comparing a neuromodulator to a dermal filler, and they are two entirely different products used in different areas of your face. Consulting with a well-trained and experienced provider should provide you with all the answers you'll need to make informed decisions.

Botox or Restylane for mouth and eyes?

+2

Generally speaking, in comparing Botox and Restylane, one is not better than the other because they are normally used to treat different issues.  Restylane is used as a filling agent and is frequently used around the mouth to plump up lips and soften nasolabial folds.  Botox is used to treat furrows or lines that are caused by muscle movement, so in respect to the eye area, it is frequently used to help treat crow's feet.  So, in most cases, Restylane would be better for around the mouth and Botox would be better for around the eyes.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

What is Better, Botox or Restylane?

+2

This is a very good question without a simple response. The brief answer is that Botox and Restylane are difficult to compare, because they address different problems in different ways.  Botox is a neuromodulator, affecting dynamic lines caused by muscle activity.  Its effects and uses are most pertinent to the upper third of the face, including the glabellar lines (11's), horizontal forehead lines, and crows feet.  Restylane is an injectable form of hyaluronic acid and can be used to address signs of aging around the mouth, nasolabial folds, restore lip volume, and /or restore lost facial volume.  Botox and Restylane can be used separately or in combination depending on the patient's requests and indications.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

What is better, Botox or Restylane?

+1

Botox and Restylane are 2 entirely different products. Botox is derived from Botulinum toxin type A. It paralyzes the muscles in a given area, causing wrinkles to smooth. Restylane is a filler derived from hyaluronic acid. It is used to fill in wrinkles, and add volume. Each are great for certain areas. Botox is fantastic for the crow's feet, glabella, forehead wrinkles, smoker's lines, and bunny lines. Restylane works great for the tear trough and marionette lines. I would recommend a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or dermatologist. They are all great choices, and will be able to make recommendations following an exam. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Re: Botox Versus Restylane

+1

Botox and Restylane can both be injected. So it is easy for people to assume that they are just wrinkle treatments that do the same thing.

However Botox works with your nerves to relax the muscles that crease your skin and form wrinkles.

Restylane is a dermal filler that is intended to add volume to depressions, grooves and hollows in the face. It can also be used for lip augmentation.

From the photos, it is hard to see what areas of the eyes and mouth you would like to address. But Restylane can be used to fill the nasolabial folds (parenthesis around the nose and mouth)

Botox can be used for crows feet. But if you  are looking to correct wrinkles under the eyes, I would recommend Radiesse. Restylane is a hyaluronic acid filler that may appear blue beneath the eyes. Radisse will not have this effect.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox Vs. Restylane

+1

You're trying to compare 2 completely different products.  It is similar to asking which is better between Head & Shoulders and Nair.  They are used for different purposes and are completely different products.

Botox is used to paralyze muscles that cause wrinkles and lines in the face.  Restylane is used to fill in areas that have lost soft tissue volume or to enhance volume.

What are your concerns about your mouth and eyes?  Once you better define your concerns, and provide close-up pictures of the areas, we can provide you with better quality answers.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Botox or restylane? No comparison

+1

Idalmis, You are comparing two things that are not used for the same purpose. Both serve different needs. Botox(or Dysport) stop wrinkling that occurs with movement of muscles. For example: the creases between the eyes, wrinkles on forehead and the ones that you get when you squint. Restylane restores volume. We use that in many areas but most commonly in nasolabial folds(parentheses) cheeks, lips and around the mouth . Neither is better, just depends on your problem. When I look at you photo, no problems jump out at me 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Botox vs Filler

+1

You cannot compare one product to the other as they are for different actions.  Neurotoxins like botox, cause the muscle to relax.  This means that the lines or actions caused by that muscle will soften and disappear over time.  Fillers can be based with many things but the most common is HA and fills out the area with the gel.  This can be used to fill in deep line, elevate the skin on the cheeks, and correct uneven jaw lines or noses.

Often i will use the two in synergy to achieve a particular look.  It is important that you seek the advice of a skilled and qualified cosmetic physician to have the consultation and treatment with.

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Differing indications for Botox and Restylane

+1

Botox is a neuromodulator, and is excellent at addressing dynamic wrinkles - meaning the wrinkles that result from the movement of your facial muscles.  Restylane is a volumizer, and is used to fill areas of volume loss and volume deficit.  

With regards to your question, Botox is perfect for addressing crow's feet, and Restylane is great for the corners of the mouth.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Restylane or Botox

+1

You need to provide better pictures (close up) with and without a smile - but generally from what I see, you may need the dermal filler in the nasolabial folds. But, see someone who provides all types of facial rejuvenation procedures for consultation and treatment.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon