Opinion on Recommendation to Use Botox to Reduce the Appearance of Gland Along Jawline?

My cosmetic surgeon recommended I have approximately 10 units of Botox injected into the glad that causes a lump along my jawline to make it "shrink up and become less visible". I am skeptical that this would be effective and concerned that it may affect the functioning of my gland. Can you please provide some information to help me make an informed decision?

Botox for sharper jaw line

+1

there are theories that botox can make a sharper jawline by relaxing the platysma muscle in the neck that pulls down on the jowl and that botox can decrease saliva production by the parotid gland which can make a lump under the jaw in some people. This would be an off-label procedure and the long term consequences of affecting the gland are not well known.

Botox to modify facial shape

+1

Dear Tina: I guess your doctor is referring to injecting Botox into the "masseter muscles". These are muscles of mastication [chewing] on the lower outer sides of the face. In some people they can be oversized, leading to a "square face". Botox 10-20 units/side is very effective in reducing the size of these muscles & giving a nicer oval/heart-shaped face instead of the square face look.

Khaled El-Hoshy, MD
Detroit Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for lump (gland) on jaw line

+1

There are several areas along the jawline where Botox and other neuromodulators can be effective.  The first is called Masseter hypertrophy.  Most commonly seen in Asians, this results in a prominence to the lateral most jaw line area.  Neuromodulators can reduce this prominence very effectively.

Although neuromodulators are mainly used to weaken muscles, they are also used to reduce the activity of secreting glands.  The two around the face area are the parotid gland in front of the ear, and the submandibular gland under the mid-jaw area.  Both make saliva, which is necessary to swallow and digest food, as well as for oral hygiene.  Injecting neuromodulators into the saliva glands has the potential to reduce their saliva production for a long time.  To my knowledge there is not proof it will shrink the gland, and it is not something performed in my practice.

Sincerely,

Yoash R. Enzer, MD

Yoash R. Enzer, MD, FACS
Providence Oculoplastic Surgeon