What is the Usual Botox Recovery Time?

How much time should I allow for recovery from Botox injections? What kind of limited activity, etc., can I expect?

Virtually no downtime with Botox

+2

The great thing about Botox is that it truly is a "lunchtime" procedure. You can come in, have it done and head right back out to work. The only restriction is that you will be asked not rub the injected area for the remainder of the day. Also, avoid NSAIDs (like Advil, Motrin, Alleve,...) aspirin and similar blood-thinning medications so you will avoid bruising.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox recovery

+1
Some swelling, redness, discomfort and bruising can appear in the days after your treatment. These go away in a couple of days to  a week or so. You should not touch your face in the area treated right afterward and refrain from vigorous physical activity as this can contribute to swelling/bruising. Don't smoke or take any blood thinners. You can go back to a desk job right after your treatment.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Botox Recovery Time

+1
  • Botox Cosmetic takes only about 10 minutes in the physician's office, and requires almost no downtime, you will be able to return to work the same day as your treatment.  Normal activities can be continued that same day, but avoid strenuous exercise for the first 24 hours after your injections.  Do not massage the treated areas, this is important, as you may unintentionally cause the Botox to migrate to an unintended area. 
  • Botox has very few side effects.  There may be minor pain or swelling at the injection site, and on rare occasions some bruising.  Overall, though, Botox Cosmetic is extremely safe and effective. 
  • You should start to notice your results in just a few days, although the full benefits from your Botox treatment will take up to 2-3 weeks.  Results will last for 4-6 months before a repeat treatment is necessary.

Narin (Dr.Joe) Apisarnthanarax, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Minimal recovery time with Botox

+1

There might be very slight swelling at the injection sites but it all subsides very quickly.  I like to ice and apply gentle pressure after the treatment.  By the time patients are ready to leave the office it's hardly noticeable that anything was done.  I usually tell my patients to avoid lying flat for one hour and avoid massaging the area with their hands.

Felix Kuo, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

Botox Recovery Time

+1

The beautiful thing about Botox is that there is no recovery time.  You will not see a result for 3-7 days, and this result typically last 3 months.  I ask my patients to avoid rubbing the treated area and to exaggerate their facial expressions for the remainder of the day.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

3-5 days

+1

Botox usually takes effect within 3-5 days. The results last for three months  in most situations. Younger patients seem to have a longer duration of effect than older patients. By this I mean that the older patients will start to show the wrinkles coming back in the 50-60 days and the younger patients it may be 70-80 days before they start to see the wrinkles coming back.

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

Minimal botox recovery

+1

There is really minimal downtime after Botox injections.  In general, one can receive Botox injections at lunch time and return to work immediately.  Infrequently, there could be slight redness at the injection sites and even slight bruising. The only restriction is that we tell patients not to rub the area for a few hours.

David Freilich, MD
Englewood Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox Recovery

+1

There is no recovery time needed from Botox injections. We ask that you do not touch the area(s) for at least the next 4 hours but does not limit you from going back to work, etc.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Little Downtime with Botox

+1

With Botox, the injections take as little as 2-3 minutes, and there is almost no-downtime. This is the perfect 'lunch-time" procedure. I recommend my patients limit vigorous excercise for 4 hours and do not manipulate the areas for 6 hours. Sometimes, there may be slight redness at the injection sites that usually resolves in an hour. Slight bruising may also occur and can take up to 2 weeks to resolve.

Mandy Lynn Warthan, MD
Dallas Dermatologist

What is typical Botox Recovery?

+1

Hi there-

Botox is the closest thing to a true "no down-time" procedure there is. You really can have it done at lunchtime and return to work or have it in the afternoon and attend a party that evening.

I usually ask my patients not to bend over, lie flat or work out for a few hours, but otherwise normal activity is encouraged.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS