Would Botox Help Someone with Rheumatoid Arthritis in the Knees and Ankles?

Botulinum Toxin (Dysport and Botox) is NOT indicated for Rheumatoid Arthritis.

+1

Botulinum Toxin (Dysport and Botox) is NOT an anti-inflammatory agent, immunosuppressant, or tumor necrosis factor which are the popular methods of treating Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/skin-procedures-chicago/injectables/botox/

Botox for Rheumatoid Arthritis

+1

Botox would not be helpful for Rheumatoid Arthritis.  There are no studies describing a positive benefit.  However, as stated above, there are new uses of Botox discovered daily, so maybe in the future a use would be described.  Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com

No Sense

+1

It does not make sense that weakening muscles would help in Rheumatoid Arthritis. I would advise you to skip this line of therapy.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Botox for RA

+1

Botox is not indicated for treatment of RA. It is a neurotoxin and should not be injected into joints.

Germantown Dermatologist

No but it will make your face look more refreshed.

+1

Dear Trapped

Sorry, I could not resist.  Botox currently does not have a role in treating RA.  I say currently because the indications for Botox only seem to grow longer and longer each year.  It is interesting that hyaluronic acid, the product used to fill the face cosmetically, is also used to filler joints suffering from degenerative arthritis.  The hyaluronic acid creates a buffer that easies joint pain by increase lubrication inside the joint.  I trust you see a rheumatologist for your RA.  There are now a number of excellent treatment options to help control RA that did not exist even a few years ago.

Web reference: http://www.lidlift.com

Botox for Rheumatoid Arthritis.

+1
With Rheumatoid Arthritis, motion tends to be limited by pain induced by joint inflammation.There is no antiinflammatory activity to Botox. Injecting Botox into the ankles and knees will more than likely worsen your stability and lead to more issues getting around, which may result in a fall. There are different medications and combination treatments, in addition to occupational and physical therapy that will serve you better than Botox injections. Good Luck! Dr B
Seattle General Surgeon

Arthritis and botox

+1

I am not aware of any benefit Botox treatment would have on a patient who has arthritis of the knees. Strengthening the supporting musculature can help some people by using physical therapy, but I don't see how weakening the muscles of the joints can help arthritis unless a surrounding muscle went into spasm, but I'm not aware of this happening from arthritis.

Botox and arthritis

+1

I have not heard of anyone using Botox for arthritis treatment.  I would investigate this before you are considering treatment.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.