Is it possible to use Botox to prevent the smile from turning downwards without affecting upward smile?

Sorry I can't upload photos, I will try to describe in detail. I find myself tightening the chin area when I'm nervous and also making frown faces I don't want to make. My mom has a permanent downward smile (heavy mouth corners) and I see this happening on my own face as I get older...I would like to prevent this! But I also love my smile and don't want to ruin that...

Botox for Mouth Corners

+1

As an expert injector, I have used Botox to improve the appearance of downturned mouth corners. If injected carefully by a Botox specialist, the treatment should not affect your ability to smile. However, improper injections can leave unsatisfactory results.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Improving Downturned Mouth with Botox

+1

Yes, but you must see a physican that is VERY experienced with this area of the face. Just a small amount in the right muscle group works beautifully to turn that frown upside down.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox around the mouth is a hit or miss at best.

+1

Botox doesn't usually improve the downward corners of the mouth without wierd looking smile expressions but sometimes does ok. I don't think it is worth the risk. Fillers does a more consistent natural result to upturn the corners of the mouth and works everytime without looking wierd or abnormal. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and Dysport

+1

Botox and Dysport can both be used off-label for prevention of a down-turned mouth. You must be treated by an experienced injector for the best result.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Jessica...you're in luck

+1

botox when used appropriately and cautiously can temporarily help you accomplish your goals...of course botox will need to be reinjected every several months...can be place in the chin muscle itself to help with that concern and then can also target the muscles that are responsible for pulling down the sides of the mouth...so sounds like you'll be a happy camper in the near future...

Ken Landow, MD

Botox around smile

+1

Yes, this is possible but is definitely an off-label use of Botox. If too much is injected it can make it hard for you to talk, smile, eat, drink from a straw, etc. So if you decide to undergo something like this, make sure you see an expert. Also, start very conservatively. A few units makes all the difference so starting with a few units and adding more is always better than overinjecting at the beginning and having issues for 3-4 months.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Mouth Frown Reversal with Botox (Dysport)

+1

Hi Jessica. Yes, this can be accomplished with Botox and Dysport. The key is not to overinject as to cause relaxation of the surrounding muscles that would control your smile when not at rest. The downside is that when you use a small amount of Dysport (Botox), the effects tend to wear off quickly so you end up having to come in more often than Dysport in other areas.

View the pictures below where we used filler and Dysport to accomplish correction for a mouth frown.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Botox off label has been used to lift up the corners of the mouth

+1
botox is not approved for this use, but doctors have injected the muscle that pulls down on the corners of the mouth to help lift this region. It not uncommonly is done along with fillers, especially when the fillers don't improve the fold from the corner of the mouth down along the marionette line satisfactorily. The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice. The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD