Will Botox Help with Tightness in Forehead after Temporal Lobectomy?

Had a craniotomy (temporal lobectomy for refractory epilepsy and a brain tumor) over 3.5 years ago, and have had terrible tightness/squeezing across forehead, on top of head, and some soreness around scar. It is very hard for me to look up with my eyes alone. This squeezing feeling started very suddenly about 6 months post-op. The prior 6 months, I had chronic migraines, which I now rarely have. Do you think a botox injection(s) could help w/ this terrible tightness, esp. across my forehead?

Botox to Relieve Forehead tightness after Craniotomy

+2

I don't feel there would be any problems with Botox injections in the forehead to relieve forehead "tightness".  First, I sugest you consult with a neurologist or a neurosurgeon to determine the cause of your symptoms after the craniotomy and temporal lobectomy.

This is an excellent question.

+2

Dear Spitfire

It is important to understand that your situation will be unique.  Would BOTOX help your with your chronic headache that you experience as terrible tightness/squeezing across the forehead and soreness around the scar?  The answer is that it is certainly possible.  I would recommend that you see a neurologist who works with headache patients.  They will have experience with post-craniotomy patients.  The may first explore conventional treatment before trying BOTOX.  However, it is definitely worth your while exploring these treatment options.

Botox and tightness of a forehead

+1

Depending on the reason for your tightness, Botox may or may not work. It is not an approved use for this medication, but that doesn't mean it couldn't help. You would need an examination by a Botox expert.  They would have to determine if it is a skin/muscle tightness or a neurological sympton. You may need to see a neurologist to identify the source of your issue.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox for Forehead Tightness after Neurosurgery

+1

Hi spitfire2,

Botox has not been used formally to treat symptoms of tightness after neurosurgery. Only recently Botox has been approved for migraine headaches. First, speak with your neurologist and neurosurgeon. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can they help determine your appropriate options. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon