Can Botox Permanently Correct Jaw Asymmetry Due to Masseter Hypertrophy?

I've been reading that the effects of Botox on the masseter are long lasting but not permanent. Also, increased use of the masseter muscle can help reverse the hypertrophy of the muscle. My asymmetry is most likely due to bad habits (clenching and chewing predominantly on one side). If I gave up those habits and began to use both muscles equally after botox has evened out my jaw, should I be seeing a permanent cure to my asymmetry?

Unfortunately the only answer if maybe...

+1

while you may believe that the masseter muscle is enlarged due to clenching/chewing on one side...that may be only part of the problem...maybe there's an underlying tendency for that enlargement...in any event, if the enlargement bothers you, get the injections...if you're right, then the problem won't recur in a year or so...but if the muscle rebounds once the effects of botox wear off, you know that the problem was more involved than you believed...so you might have to keep up with the injections...

Masseter hypertrophy

+1

If and when you get "tired" of Botox injections  the hypertrophic muscle can be reduced surgically (most often trough the mouth). It is unclear if bad chewing, clenching habits cause masseteric hypertrophy.

Nevertheless surgical correction maybe the answer for you.

Guido P. Gutter MD
Evansville Plastic Surgeon

Botox for masseter muscle hypertrophy

+1

Many people with masseter hypertrophy do not have a chewing problem and their masseters may not permanently be corrected after a series of Botox treatments, but as you state, your enlargement may be due to asymmetric chewing. Now that you are chewing equally on both sides, you may notice long term correction of the masseter muscle  but you may need maintenance treatments.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox for masseter muscle

+1

Masseter muscle hypertrophy can be treated with Botox but this has to be continously used and only over several treatments will you see a reduction in the overall muscle mass.

+1

IMHO, if you had large doses of Botox, Dysport or Xeomin at regular intervals the Masseter muscle would atrophy.