Botox Party: Are They Safe?

I’m interested in knowing more about the true risk of Botox parties. Are the risks all that significant that you need a doctor on-hand? Afterall, Botox does wear off

Botox parties can be safe if done right

+2

Botox parties do not have to have a negative stigma. I regularly hold Botox parties in my office and in The Roxpsa medispa at the Roxbury Clinic and Surgery Center. When performed safely, with approved medical techniques and appropriate informed consent, Botox parties can be very safe.

That being said, you must still be cautious and suspicious when Botox parties are conducted by non-trained individuals. These are still medical procedures and must always be supervised by a knowledgeable physician.

Caution with Botox parties

+2

While Botox is a safe procedure in the right hands, it is not something that can be done by anyone, anywhere. It amazes me that people turn their faces over to any "beauty professional" to administer a medical injection that chemically denervates your facial muscles. Yes, the effect is temporary, but there are real complications that can occur. This should be performed by an appropriately trained physician (board certified plastic surgeon, dermatologist, oculoplastic surgeon, or ENT surgeon) or someone directly trained by and supervised by a physician.

When you go to a Botox party in a non-medical setting, it is really hard to ensure safe practices and appropriate medical record keeping. What are the training/credentials of the injector? Do they even know what muscles they are injecting, or how to fix any problems they cause? Do you have a way to contact him or her after the party? Do you have any follow-up? Is the product being used really Botox? Is the lot number, expiration date, and amount of product used recorded in any medical chart? Were you informed of all of the potential risks, asked if you were pregant, informed of the expected results and what to do if you are not satisfied? Are you getting one-on-one attention with your injector, or are you literally in the middle of a party setting? Did you sign an informed consent? Is there alcohol involved? Were you under pressure by friends or the injector? Is there appropriate equipment to provide sterile technique? Did he or she take the time to analyze your face specifically? Was a medical history taken?

The real answer to your question depends on what you mean by Botox party. The above refers to social gatherings in a non-medical setting, with an injector offering Botox to the attendees. Often the person injecting is not properly trained or qualified to perform the injections, may or may not be a licensed practioner, or may not even understand how Botox works.

I strongly urge you to seek out a professional who is trained to provide this medical service, rather than getting injected at some random party or the corner salon offering cheap prices. There is a reason the prices are cheap. You don't want to learn the hard way that yes, it does matter who injects your Botox.

Good luck!

Anita Patel, MD

Botox " Parties"

+2
BOTOX is an injectable medication for use by medical professionals. A 'BOTOX party' is a gathering designed to make the treatment less intimidating to attendees, but a word of caution; 'BOTOX parties' are sometimes held outside of medical settings. Before joining a 'party', ask yourself the following questions:
  • Have I been asked to provide a complete medical history?
  • Have I been advised of alternative treatments?
  • Have risks or potential complications been discussed?
  • Have I been asked to give my informed consent?
  • Will I receive adequate follow-up care?
Consumers should look for a doctor with BOTOX Platinum status, ensuring that your physician is one of the top users of BOTOX Cosmetic in the nation. Through a special offer provided by Allergan, the manufacturer of BOTOX Cosmetic, patients can enjoy $25 off every BOTOX treatment when administered by a BOTOX Platinum status physician.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Botox should only be injected by trained medical professionals

+2

Botox should only be injected by trained medical professionals (Plastic Surgeons, Dermatologists).

In California, RN's may inject Botox if properly trained and only under the supervision of a physician.

Occasionally (underline occasionally as this is uncommon) a bit of the Botox can get into the muscle of the upper eyelid and cause it to droop. Fortunately, this is usually short lived as the muscle was not injected directly. Over-injection can cause facial immobility.

In the right hands, Botox is very safe and the vast majority of patients who are properly injected by trained professionals are very happy with results.

Do your homework first and beware of highly discounted prices.

Edmond A. Zingaro, MD

Botox Party

+1

Who is having the Botox Party??  Is it in a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist office? Do your research, and do not be afraid to ask questions.  There are people who inject Botox who are not qualified to do so. 

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Botox Party Safety Concerns

+1

It is absolutely essential that Botox is administered by an experienced medical specialist to help reduce possible risks and complications that can occur. Some forms of side effects can last weeks, while others can last for several months. If the Botox party does not have a medical practitioner performing the injections, then it should be avoided.

The person administering the Botox must have a thorough understanding of facial anatomy and how to work with these principles to not only make necessary corrections, but also to ensure a sound aesthetic result.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

It is not a party if someone gets hurt

+1

Botox parties can be safe if conducted by a board certified plastic surgeon.  Too frequently these parties are run by non experts who risk sterility, improper handling of botox, and improper techniques which can lead to a variety of issues up to and including blindness.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Botox Parties

+1

The short answer is "no", Botox parties are not safe (especially if there is not physician).  But it depends on what you mean by a "Botox party".  If a physician is having a promotional event at their office, but you are still being injected in an exam room under ideal conditions, that is probably okay.  The problem when you leave a physician's office, is that many of the controlled variables (lighting, sterility etc...) become uncontrolled.  Also, be careful at these parties that they are actually injecting Botox.  I have seen cases in Miami where patients had "unknown" things injected in them at people's homes and they had disfiguring outcomes.

Todd Minars, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Botox parties..the real deal

+1

Botox parties can be safe if staffed by a qualified physician. A couple reasons why botox parties may be a problem:

1. Alcohol may be served and it may cloud the judgement of the patient to get Botox and the amount and location. You can't really consent to anything with alcohol on board.

2. There are other people there so a patient can get pressured to get botox even if she feels she doesn't really want any. The consent process of any procedure is done with the doctor and patient alone.

Something to keep in mind.

Dr Thiagarajah

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox Party?

+1

'Botox parties' are putting yourself at risk.  This is a procedure that you are doing to make yourself look better, so why take ANY risk of it going wrong.  Botox in a clinical setting is a safe procedure.  In a party setting all bets are off.   Most of the time it is done in a salon or home  which by no means is a sterile condition.   First and foremost....safety fist!!! 

Lisa Kates, MD
Annapolis Dermatologist