Botox to Paralyze Corrugator Muscles - Relieve Tightness

There is a constant tension in my corrugator/procerus muscle- a tight feeling- ever since my eyelid surgery 4 months ago. I am about to go to the eye emergency care as I can no longer stand it- it is debilitating. It's not a headache (there's no pain) but it's EXTREMELY tight, and preventing me from studying, reading, concentrating on normal tasks. Will botox relieve it, and will it last? I'd do anything to get rid of this tightness in that area. It is making me almost suicidal.

Botulinum Toxin (Dysport and Botox) for management of tight feelings in forehead

+1

This sounds more like a muscle tension headache or possible nerve entrapment.. The anxiety component does not sound typical. It may be worth undergoing biofeedback so that you can confirm and control the problem without medications. Botulinum Toxin (Dysport and Botox) could provide some immediate relief but it does take 4-5 days to work and will ease the muscle contraction but not the anxiety

Forget the BOTOX.

+1

You need to be assessed by an oculoplastic surgeon to be certain that what you are interpreting as muscle tension is not some time of dry eye condition caused by your eyelid surgery.  Assuming that the eyes are not dry, I would next be concerned that you have some type of psychological reaction to your eyelid surgery.  Particularly if as you suggest the feeling is so bad that you write you might do yourself in over the issue.  There are circumstances where neurological medications or antipsychotic drugs can be helpful for how the brain perceives and interprets sensation.  A neuropsychiatrist or pain management specialist might be helpful for these issues.

Tightness in the glabell region

+1

It is unclear why you would have so much tightness in the glabella region.  Botox may or may  not help this, but I would get it evaluated first.

Tightness of Corrugator Muscles After Blepharoplasty

+1

Hi,

Botox injections into your corrugator muscles should relax the muscle tension that you are feeling.  I have not heard of this adverse effect after blepharoplasty.  You should discuss this with your bleph surgeon.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Encino, CA

Michael A. Persky, MD

Using Botox to relieve tension in the Glabella Area

+1

Regarding: "Botox to Paralyze Corrugator Muscles - Relieve Tightness
There is a constant tension in my corrugator/procerus muscle- a tight feeling- ever since my eyelid surgery 4 months ago. I am about to go to the eye emergency care as I can no longer stand it- it is debilitating. It's not a headache (there's no pain) but it's EXTREMELY tight, and preventing me from studying, reading, concentrating on normal tasks. Will botox relieve it, and will it last? I'd do anything to get rid of this tightness in that area. It is making me almost suicidal
."

I have done a fair number of Blepharoplasty procedures and have never come across such a complication. I completely feel for you but must tell you it is extremely uncommon.

That being said, Botox is a great tool to weaken the procerus and corrugator glabellar muscles. It smooths the area and allows a chemical brow lift but removing the downward pull of these muscles and allowing for an unopposed raising of the brow by the forehead muscle, the frontalis.

There is NO reason why the Botox cannot be tried as a diagnostic tool in this area to see if it can relieve this sensation. But having not seen such a complication before I am not confident that it would work. If it does not, you would best be evaluated by a neurologist who specializes in headaches.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Botox would work but only temporarily

+1

Botox would probably work in your situation since it relaxes the muscles you seem to think are involved. However, this would only be a temporary fix, necessitating numerous dermatology/plastic surgery visits. My suggestion would be to see an oculoplastic surgeon who would be experienced in treating this problem. They will be able to alter the muscular movement giving you a permanent solution.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Post operative tightness after eyelid surgery

+1

You have probably had several followup visits with your eyelid surgeon, but if there is no decrease in your serious symptoms that are affecting you so severely, seek consultation with an oculoplastic surgeon to make sure your extraocular muscles are working correctly. only with an in-office examination, especially by the right doctor, could an explanation be given and then a plan for correction. Don't give up, and make your true feelings known to your current surgeon as they may be able to refer you to the best specialist if needed. do this immediately.

Ronald Shelton, MD

+1

Your question or issue and how you post it is of great concern to me. I think seeing or seeking immediate in pesron care is the best plan or path for you at this time. Best of luck. 

Botox will relax the muscles

+1

While Botox or Dysport will certainly relieve the tension caused by tense muscles, you should make certain that the cause of your discomfort is muscle tension, since you recently had eyelid surgery. Botox generally lasts 3-4 months and is a quick office procedure once you have been examined. Hope you feel better soon!

Jen Yuan Chow, MD
Pasadena Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for tightness

+1

It sounds that Botox would be helpful in this situation. A thorough evaluation of the muscles by your injecting physician will be helpful to see how helpful this would be though.

Purvisha Patel, MD
Germantown Dermatologist