Can Botox be used to paralyse movement of the muscles around the eye?

I've had Bells Paulsy and this has caused nerve damage to my left eye. As a result my right eye closes much more than my left when I smile. Would Botox work to paralyse the muscles of my right eye so that my eyes closed evenly when I smiled?

+1

Yes, In the hands of an experienced injector, applying a small amount of Botox will help with the asymmetry caused by the Bell's Palsy

Eye asymmetry

+1

Yes, Botox can make your eyes more symmetrical by treating the obicularis occuli muscle. The injections must be done by a doctor that knows facial anatomy well.

Richard Parfitt, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Improving facial symmetry with Botox after Bell's Palsy

+1

Botox is commonly used to symmetrize the face after recovery from Bell's palsy. The eyes are a commonly affected area, where synkinesis and asymmetry can be improved with selective injections of Botox. For the best results seek out a surgeon experienced in treating patients with Bell's Palsy and synkinesis.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

+1
Yes, Botox can be used to help treat the effects of your Bell's Palsy. Make sure to seek out an experienced plastic surgeon to make sure you get the best results possible.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Botox around the eyes

+1

To answer your question, YES! Botox was recently approved for treatment of Crow's feet. In your case the asymmetry caused by the Bell's Palsy would be the best treatment option. Make sure you see an experienced board certified physician who has years of experience treating this sort of issue. Good luck!

Laura Skellchock, MD
Boca Raton Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

Botox can often be used to weaken muscle movement on the normal side to improve symmetry. This can be highly effective but requires maintenance about once every 3-4 months. Seek a highly experienced injector well versed in the treatment of people having suffered a facial palsy. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Bells Palsy

+1

Yes - a small amount of Botox into your right lower eyelid may help reduce the amount it elevates when you smile. See an oculoplastic surgeon or other physician who is experienced injected Botox into the eyelids.

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon