Is Botox Painful?

i hate needles more than anything becs of  pain.  irrational, i know. i heard botox cosmetic can be really painful to get injected. if thats true, i'll have to live with the forhead wrinkles!

Botox pain, not really

+3

I am amazed how many women refuse any sort of pain relief measures. Men are a different story. Most of my Botox veterans deign any pain relief at all, but it is certainly available.

Patients can be pre-treated with a topical anesthetic to the areas that we intend to inject. Properly formulated, these can do an amazing job. After trying a number of pharmacies, we have found one here in Virginia Beach which provides amazing pain relief.

We can also use a Zimmer cool air device if needed, which further nullifies the prick from the needle.

Injections are done with a 31 gauge needle which is smaller than a TB test or diabetes injection needle.

Finally, ice or cool packs can further blunt the mild pain. These should be used prior to and just after the injections.

Incidentally, as the physicians and patients on this site can attest, injections into the crow's feet and forehead regions are barely perceived. Most "newbies" are surprised about the former. Injections into the glabellar area are a bit more painful but certainly are well tolerated.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

No, No, No...Botox injections are not painful...

+1

and most of us use a topical numbing cream and maybe some ice on top of that...so no, botox is not painful...in fact in the forehead you can hardly feel it...and remember it's the same needle diabetics use to give themselves insulin injections with several times a day and you never hear about pain in these instances...but some people have panic attacks at the thought of any shot...now that's a different issue...one totally unrelated to pain...

Botox Injections Are Mostly Painless

+1

A very tiny needle is all that is needed for the procedure. Some patients report minor and temporary discomfort from the injection.  Ice packs maybe used to help minimize the discomfort and any swelling in the injection site. “Dr. D”

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

BOTOX is mostly painless!

+1

Very rarely, do I come across someone who requires topical numbing cream before BOTOX. Most people tolerate it very well indeed!

But if you feel that you will need some pain relief, topical numbing cream is a very good option, your doctor will be able to provide you.

India Dermatologist

Botox is generlally not deemed painful

+1

Almost everyone agrees that botox is not painful.  For a select few, pain relief measures of topical anesthethic or a cooling device.

Don't fear botox pain!

+1

Botox injections are typically done with such a tiny needle that they are virtually painless. If you fear needles and the pain of even a small needle, then ask your provider to apply some topical numbing cream prior to injection to numb the skin. You will be pleasantly surprised how easy botox injections are with a consciencious and experienced injector.

Charlotte Dermatologist

Reducing the pain of Botox injection

+1

As injections go, Botox isn't too bad. However, no matter how tiny the needle, no one really enjoys getting injected. Although I have many patients who are unfazed by Botox, I usually recommend:

1. Ice: This helps numb the areas prior to injection.

2. Topical anesthetic ointment (numbing cream): To be effective, this should be placed at least 15 to 20 minutes prior to the injection.

3. Nitrous oxide (laughing gas): This makes you feel as if you've had a couple martinis before the injection, and it wears off about 5 minutes after the injection.

Using one or more of these measures, the pain of Botox injections can be well-controlled and is minimal in most patients.

Botox treatment minimally painful

+1

Botox is injected into the areas being treated with a very small syringe and very small needle. The injections themselves are fairly quick as well. Most of our patients find the treatment very easy and never even ask about topical numbing (anesthesia). I have never had a patient complain about the pain of getting Botox nor have I had a patient not come back for Botox because of discomfort during the treatment. Botox is considered a fairly painless and very safe procedure.

Botox is usually associated with minimal discomfort, but technique is important in your experience

+1

Hi there-

The injections of botox are administered with a very small needle.

This size needle is the one used for most diabetic patients who give themselves injections several times a day.

Many clinicians help "numb" the site with ice, or for those who are very sensitive, with a topical numbing cream.

Each little injection is very quick and therefore the discomfort,if any, is very quick.

Most patients would tell you that the minor discomfort associated with the treatment was well worth the outcome they enjoy.

Web reference: http://www.DrArmandoSoto.com

Botox should not be painful

+1

Every day I have a patient comment how simple their first Botox treatment was. They were often worried that the injections would hurt and are surprised how little discomfort they felt.

It is easily one of the safest, highest satisfaction and painless cosmetic procedures you can have-- that's why it is so popular.

Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.