Botox or Other Treatment for Hyperactive Chin Muscle?

Hi I have had a bimaxillary osteotomy, and now it seems that I have excessive dimpling in my chin area, and I am unable to purse my lips. Also, my bottom lip keeps going up to one side.

I think it is because of an overactive chin (mentalis) muscle. Am I able to have Botox to this area or what do you suggest?

Botox for Pebble Chin?

+1

We have treated patients with your condition with Botox and the effects are extremely positive. 

The term we use to describe the condition is "pebble chin" and we use Botox in this situation to relax the muscle that causes the contraction and dimpling of the chin. 

See the link below to our photos and description of the treatment.

Botox is the treatment of choice to improve chin dimpling

+1

For correction of dimpling of the chin Botox works terrific. However, it may actually worsen the problem you have with pursing of your lips. So please be very careful and see a Dermatologist who has experience in injecting Botox in the lip and chin areas

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox does work very nicely

+1

Botox does work very nicely for many people who want to diminish their dimpling in the chin. Just a couple of units can help. Rather do more as you have more sessions than too much at the first treatment. It could minimize your ability to pull down on the bottom lip. You would have to be examined to determine why the bottom lip goes down on one side. It might be that during this temporary phase of your convalescence (if your surgery was not too long ago) that Botox can be used to minimize the overactive muscles. Have you asked your oral maxillofacial surgeon what they believe it is and what can correct it? If he or she doesn’t have much experience with Botox, they might be able to communicate with a dermatologist or plastic surgeon and have you see them for the treatment after they have a chance to explain what they think is responsible for the imbalance.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox good for hyperactive mentalis but not necessarily for lips

+1

Your inability to purse your lips probably has more to do with the amount of advancement than it does with the hyperactive mentalis muscle.

Therefore it is unlikely that Botox will provide any relief if the inability to purse the lips and may in fact, make it worse. It does however, work great for a hyperactive mentalis muscle.

Botox is the procedure of choice

+1

This area is treated by just a few units of Botox in just the right 1 or 2 spots. If the doctor misses however,  the lips will not move correctly and the results can be very upsetting to patients. Treating this area also helps reshape an aging chin and jawline, especially when combined with fillers.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Botox is great for hyperactive chin muscle.

+1

Hi!   Small amounts (6 units) of Botox are great to give you a smooth chin.  But you have other problems with your mouth muscles following your surgery that require careful evaluation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Botox is safe and effective for chin dimpling.

+1

Dear Marilyn,

Botox to the chin can be very helpful for dimpling. I don't see any downside if you try it with an experienced physician.

I hope this helps, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

You may also have a nerve injury.

+1

Dear Marilyn

Without a personal consultation it is impossible to know the exact cause of your chin dimpling and mouth asymmetry. Many patients without a history of maxillary surgery have chin dimpling. BOTOX can be very helpful in temporarily improving the muscular activity of the mentalis muscle that covers the chin. It is possible that this approach could improve your chin dimpling.

The inability to purse the lips could represent a motor nerve injury. Did this loss of function occur following your surgery? If so, it is possible that the nerves were injured during the procedures. Motor nerves that are partially injured may recover. However, these are often permanent injuries. If it has been more than 6 months since your surgery and there is still dysfunction, this has a much lower probability of ever recovering.

Botox can be used for an overactive mentalis muscle

+1

Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon or aboard-certified dermatologist who has experience using Botox for mentalis overactivity.  Usually anywhere from 5 to 10 units in the area gives a nice improvement.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon