Botox Opinion Please ~ neuro-muscular disease

I am 39 years old and have significant dynamic wrinkles around my eyes when smiling. I know botox would improve these lines, but...for the past 13 years my mom has suffered from a neuro-muscular disease. There is no other family history, but getting botox is a bit terrifying to me. The neuologists have not been able to give her disease a name, but it is very similar to ALS, only much slower. What is your opinion? Thank you so much for your response. Leighton

Botox and Neuromuscular Diseasae

+1

Without more information it is impossible to give you more specific advice.  However, there are no studies indicating that Botox will cause you to develop a neuromuscular disease.  Additionally, Botox is never permanent.  It causes a temporary neuromuscular blockage at the target muscle where it is injected.  You may want to consult with a neurologist.  However, you really should have no problems.  Good luck.

Botox and neuromuscular disease

+1

There is no literature that indicates that treatment with Botox or Dysport will cause or bring out latent neuromuscular disease, but if one were to have such a disease, then you would not want to risk exacerbating it with these products.

Ronald Shelton, MD

+1

You are asking a "what if" question. What if you get Botox and this unnamed disease starts in you? What if you try fillers or stem cell fat grafts or Selphyl injections first? What if you see some doctors in person to discuss this issue? WHAT IF? 

Botulinum toxin (Botox, Dysport) SHOULD NOT trigger neurological disorder

+1

Dear Leighton - I am sorry to hear about your mother's medical problems. I believe that Botox would help you and wouldn't cause you any harm but this is an educated guess. Since you have access to neurologists caring for your mother I would recommend tapping into their knowledge. If you have an opportunity ask one of them and I believe their answers will likely put you at ease.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botulinum toxin (Dysport, etc) and neuromuscular disease

+1

It is unlikely that this would effect any current neuromuscular disease without any overt symptoms. In the event that you should have any signs of your mother's condition, you could discontinue the Botox.